Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Entrance Audition!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Charles Shores, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    Hi everyone! If you read my intro post, then you know that I'm going to North Carolina School of the Arts this fall, starting Sept 9th! I'm very excited!

I got a letter about all the miscellaneous stuff that they do the first couple of days, such as music lockers, practice rooms, etc. And it says my audition is on September 10th. I'm not super nervous yet, because this is just the first of many in my college career, but I don't want to get last chair!

I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should try to prepare for the audition. Here is what I'm currently working on:

Marcello Sonata (e minor), Vivaldi Sonata No. 1, Eccles Sonata (1st mvmt), Some Simandl Etudes, the Simandl Method Books, and very recently the Capuzzi Concerto.

My problem is, I've been learning the Capuzzi very fast (only four days and I can almost play it), and I want something a little harder. I was thinking the Eccles would be good if I learned it all the way through. Is it a good audition piece?

I like that it demonstrates my knowledge of tenor clef and lower thumb position, so if you have other suggestions, that is about the level I would want to have. I have over a month, and I learn fast. I have the ability to practice 3+ hours a day (I could practice a lot more, I'm not busy) until the 9th, so something a little above the Eccles would be fine. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Chad

2. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    First of all, congratulations on getting in to college! It's scary at first, but you'll have a great time.
    Do you have a private bass teacher with whom you can discuss these issues with?
    It seems as though your solo repertoire is at an appropriate level for your age, but you should also be working on some orchestral excerpts as well.
    Does the music school specify at all what you should prepare for the seating audition, or does it just say what time it will be?
    Does your future school have a bass teacher that you will be studying with? If so, you should try to contact him (or her!) for some lessons and some good advice as that what they're looking for.
    If it doesn't specify at all what you should play, Eccles would be a good choice for a solo, and maybe the recitative in Beethoven 9, and the opening of Mozart 39, just to get you started.
    Good luck!

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Congratulations -- NC School of the Arts is a great place, and Lynn Peters is a terrific bass teacher.

4. Charles Shores

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    No, I don't have a teacher, I'm self taught except for the first year in school where they show you how to hold the bow and play open strings. I can probably call Ms Peters and ask her about this.

I have been neglecting my excerpts...I don't really know anything except for the full pieces that I have learned before.

The sheet they sent says exactly:

WHAT DO I PLAY FOR THE HEARING?
    Any piece you have been working on that best shows your ability.

I think I'm going to settle on the Eccles, I'll learn the whole piece and polish it up this month.

Thanks!

5. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Another nice piece -- short, won't take you long to learn the notes -- is the Rachmaninoff "Vocalise." It's been recorded by Karr, Mariller, and Morton -- probably others. It's one of those pieces that gives the player a lot of room to show personal interpretation, in a compositional style that contrasts well with the Eccles or other late baroque/early classical pieces. This one has schmaltz.

6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Hey Charles,
    I don't think we have ever met, but I am sure we have got mutual friends. Small world, I am in CSYO western reigonals and stuff like that. I also thought of going to NCSA, but for HS next year. Congradulations on your acceptance, Lynn is awesome. I went to a Bass Class last year and met all the other players, and they are amazing. I dont mean to shoot you down or anything like that at all, you are around my level and all of that, but you are going to need a teacher to help polish up before your audition. These players are amazing. I went there last year and saw a 10th grader play the Bottesini Gran Duo amazingly with a 11th Grader, and thats pretty impressive. From what I have heard, you need to Nail this first hearing to survive the rest of the year. I think Lynn would be fine with having a couple of lessons with her before the hearing, and I know some teachers in charlotte that could probably help you. My teacher is out of town until the 16th, but I can probably give you some numbers, PM me if you need help with contact info.
    Have Fun at NCSA

P.S. Be prepared to have others in your section be playing stuff like the Kussevitsky and Bottesini and Vanhal and stuff like that, they are amazing

7. Charles Shores

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I went with the Bottesini, looks like I was better than I thought!

I think I have a little trouble trusting my own ability. I always go in thinking "how could I ever learn that?!" and learn end up learning it.

Looks like I'll be around the same level (at least on one piece) as the other students. I'm glad I found one that wasn't Elegy or Concerto No. 2, those are pretty common I think.

Chad

8. Charles Shores

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    An update:

I love it here!

I got into the orchestra, and I'm the only one playing anything bottesini.

Chad