College food concoctions.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jiant., Sep 5, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So has anyone come up with anything good to eat, from either simple ingredients, or just mixing random food items you usually had around the dorm? I just thought this might be interesting, and possibly useful now that I'm living in the dorms.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's a good, cheap homemade Pizza you can make. you'll need access to an oven for this, though:

2 large flour Tortillas
    grated cheese
    Pasta sauce
    pepperoni, canadian bacon, olives, hard boiled eggs, onions, whatever you like on a pizza.

You'll also need a metal tray and/or some aluminum foil.

1) take the first flour tortilla and spread some grated cheese on it.

2) place the second flour tortilla on top of the first one (the cheese will melt and make the two tortillas stick together)

3) cover the top tortilla with pasta sauce, then cover with cheese and the toppings of your choice.

4) place in ~400 degree oven on top of aluminum foil in tray for around twenty minutes or until cheese is melter and tortillas are crisp.

This is best when eaten right away, but it won't spoil if you put it in your fridge for a couple days. It can serve two quite well.
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Mac and cheese
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Go to the cafeteria. That is my number one food source.

Crab Leg Thursdays. Mmm mmm.
  5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Dry brick noodles.

1. Open the package.
    2. Take a bit.
    3. Chew.
    4. Swallow.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4.
  6. Here's a dessert for you:

Mix the following in a bowl. Use whatever amounts of each ingredient you'd like.

Peanut Butter (preferably non-chunky)
    Hershey's chocolate syrup
    whipped cream (of the spray-can variety)

mmm mmm good. :D
  7. Do yourself a favor and get a crockpot. (slow cooker)

You can cook about a million things in one, and there are more than a million recipes online. They are all very easy. Soups and chile to chicken and pot roast.

You can put everything in the pot in the morning and then eat it when you get out of class. The tuff part is making sure is doesn't get eating by someone else first.
  8. the phone book works quite well for me when the cafeteria can't fill me up...

yes...i'll eat five or six pages and that will do
  9. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    was the only time in my life I broke 150
    crab legs?? you dawg!
  10. Reddi Whip for a dessert.

Tuna and mayo with sour cream n onion chips. Mmmm good.

Ramen noodles
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    A toasted sourdough bagel with cream cheese and bacon bits.

(Yes, I liked weed in college.)
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    All you can eat crab legs, steak, and shrimp. The steak is decent, the shrimp is pathetic, but the crab legs damn good.

I attend MSU, so technically I'm a Bulldog. But I'll let it slide this time.
  13. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Even fast food will eat away at your pocketbook. I would suggest loading up with just what you need and only a little in advance. There is *no* need for SAMs or Costco purchases in a dorm. I've done it too many times and there was too much crap. Heck, I think I still have some of those 1500 envelopes that were purchased back in 1992!

Think simple. Tuna sandwiches work. So does PB&J's. Yogurt works too and can be cheap. I never could do Ramen so don't bother asking me about that.
  14. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    well ramen's still 10 cents a package... canned soup + water is pretty easy. i almost always had a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread in my room.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Fry up a can of chickpeas (only 69 cents) in some olive oil with some basil, and serve it with some Near East rice pilaf (about $1.75) or with some egg noodles (99 cents a bag).

Or a favorite of mine is a spinach and cheese casserole.
    Get one frozen pack of spinach ($1.00)
    A can of red kidney beans (or chickpeas) (69 cents)
    One egg
    Extra sharp cheddar (a brick from Cabot is $2.00, but you'll only need about 1/3 to 1/2)
    Some shredded mozzeralla (a bag is $2.00- you'll only need about 1/5 of it)
    Spices: red pepper, cumin, curry, salt, onion powder (every college kid should have these around anyways)
    (Optional): Package of sliced mushrooms ($1.50)

Cook the spinach and drain, and put it in a pre-greased brownie pan.
    If you're going to use mushrooms, fry them up in some butter (real butter!) until browned and drain the excess juices. Shred up the sharp cheddar and drain the beans. Add all the ingredients to the brownie pan and stir. Add spices to taste- a little cumin and red pepper goes a long way...the meal is best if it's just a little spicy. Save the mozzarella for last and sprinkle it over the top of the mix. Pop it in the oven on 375 for 15-20min and you're all set.
    You'll get about 4 good-sized meals out of it- serve it over rice each time (so you'll need less casserole to get you full) and you can stretch it to 6-8 meals. Total cost is about $2-$8 (depending on if you have any of the ingredients). Takes about a half hour including cooking time. Really, really tasty.
  16. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ramen and dried soups go well together to make a bit thicker noodle soup.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well this one came from a friend who was in prison. He said the first day at breakfast, they gave him a bowl of oatmeal, sausage links, scambled eggs, and a spoonfull of peanut butter. He was looking around, saw some guys mixing some of it together, or eating it all separate, till he saw one guy who mixed it all together into a bowl, and he seemed to be enjoying his breakfast the most, so he tried it. When I saw him eating that one morning at a breakfast restarant I worked at, I asked him about it.

Sure enough, it was damn tasty!
  18. Cheezewhiz and those little mini frankfurters in a can. You can heat them on a hotplate right in the can.

19. This is what I have been eating the past few days

Divide your plate into three equal parts

1/3 boiled spaghetti or rice or noodles
    1/3 two chopped up and fried vegetables (e.g. onion and pepper)
    1/3 fried sausages or chicken breast

This is supposed to be a well balanced meal too
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I had to use the cafeteria. No kitchens in dorms back in the
    dark ages.

The meals that stood out included Friday dinner -
    'Train Wreck at Midnight'.

Saturday lunch was the venerable 'Food of the Week in Review'

On days that they wanted to surprise you they had
    'Mystery Meat'. Worse was 'Amorphous Meat Mass'.

My most traumatic experience in the cafeteria was one
    evening when I went to dinner rather, well, 'toasted' and
    the cute girl serving the chicken asked me coyly
    'Breast or Thigh?'. Needless to say I began to ponder how this
    reflected upon me as a person, and how it affected my sexuality and I totally froze up.