Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Food that isn't bad for you

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'll admit it, I'm living on fast food.

There I said it.

Not only is it clogging my heart with deep fried badness, it's also costing quite a bit of money in the long run. I'm going to cut back on fast food, and buy more groceries. What should I get? I know what to get dinnerish stuff, but I mean the quick in between classes stuff.

Current ideas...

Ramen (add spagetti sauce and it isn't as lame)
    Burgers that are already burger patties
    TV Dinners (not great for me, but quick and cheap)
    Sandwich stuff
    Soup (But I rarely eat it, it's good sometimes)

Those are the basics, any other good quick stuff?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I would be surprised if any of that stuff is any better for you than the fast food that you are eating.

You are much better off cooking like a big pot of pasta and sauce and just separating it into little containers and sticking it in the fridge to have a portion each day. Or, buying those little individual salads that you can get from supermarkets and eating those.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Learn to cook, rice, potatoes and pasta :cool:

One of my favorites is to cook a really big pot of sticky rice, eat a bowl or two, stick the rest in Tupperware, then enjoy rice for a while. If you form the rice into balls, you can walk around munching on it and feel like some old samurai bad ass from a kurosawa flick :cool:

4. lean cusines are ok, rather than the alternitiven chicken potatoesand brownies in most tv dinners. yeah.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about dinner stuff. That's more stuff I put more preperation into.

6. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Try the Hot Pockets. They're breath-taking.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Though I do like the concept of making stuff and then making individual servings of it. MmmMMmmMM I loooooooove salad.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Left over dinner stuff makes good "snacks" between classes. Ie a pasta divided up into small snack size containers.

Alternatively buy a bunch of "cilantro" (hehe americans!) and some shredded chicken and stuff that into a roll each day with some sweet soy sauce - you will be in healthy tasty heaven.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    burritos are great to make around the house. insert 'breakfast' where applicable.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Why is cilantro funny to you? Is it a weed where you live, too?

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No its not, its just that we call it by a different name and I think cilantro sounds funny. Kinda like how you say "bayzil" instead of "baz-il" :D

Is it a weed? I thought it was an "annual" herb, so that it only grew once a year? (I can't say I have ever cultivated herbs).

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It was my understanding that basil and cilantro were two different things...

Anyway, if you're like me and have class all day, and work all evening, then just stick to the simple stuff. Fruit for breakfast (cheap and good for you) and fit in lunch and dinner whenever you can. I usually rely on the microwave stuff, or the stuff that I get at work. It's not the healthiest out there, but it's not the worst, either.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Basil and cilantro are two different herbs. (erbs for you American's) ;)

15. No ramen, check the label, it's not good for you!

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do they taste the same off the barbey?

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dunno I live in an apartment with no outdoor area :D

But I guess if we did chuck them on the barbie with a couple of prawns then they would probably both taste like charcoal because herbs (erbs) don't grill too well :)

Crikey....it looks like that dingo's stolen my baby mate!

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah cilantro is a weed. I moved down to fairly near San Antonio for a few years back in, say 1982 to 1984 or so. I got used to tasting this stuff in almost everything I got and said 'Wow. I really like this herb. What is it?' and the waitress pointed out the window to a clump of weeds and said 'It's the same stuff as that. Actually.'

Not a great moment in customer service.

But yeah. It is in the same family as parsley and grows just as easily. And coriander is the seeds.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ah, well you may as well have the full recipe to my corriander (cilantro)bliss:

1 Fresh Elongated bread roll
    1 handful of shredded chicken
    1 handful of grated carrot
    1-2 long strips of cucumber
    1-2 corriander (cilantro) stalks
    some chopped chillis
    mayonaise
    sweet soy sauce

Put all the ingredients in the bread roll and eat! *flavour heavan*

(BTW they are also available commercially from vietnamese bread shops!)