College Gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jondog, Dec 20, 2002.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area

I live in the northeast, and there are a LOT of colleges around here. What is the best way to get gigs at student unions, frats, etc.? In another thread, somebody mentioned NACA -- what do they do?

2. crossXbones

Sep 17, 2002
    well i help book bands at a major university in the south. go to the student union office or whoever is responsible for running student campus entertainment/club....usually has a title like talent buyer or club cordinator. look for a number in a bulletin or just ask around. its not that hard. press kits are very important. good luck.
  3. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    yeah, the best place to start is with the clubs. all large clubs usually have a person in charge of booking events and entertainment. you can get a list of all the clubs from the student activities office (or student union, whatever it may be called). Then you can pick out the clubs that you think would be interested in booking you and contact them individually.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You may want to follow up on their advice. College gigs kick arse!
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks, I'll let you know how I do!
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    They sure do:D
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You also might want to talk to people at the campus paper or radio station - they might have the inside track on various college-oriented events, and would know who to talk to regarding them.
  8. Right on college gigs kick ass... hell probably 70% of our fans are students from Northeastern, UMASS, BU, BC...

They are a great fanbase. :)
  9. My dream is to play at a college or university.

My school, Concordia, has a student bar on it's main floor, and they have a stage for bands to perform. I've seen a few acts, and the crowd reaction is awesome! Whenever I pass by, I think, "one day, just be patient..." And what bugs me is that they usually bring hip-hop acts, or a jazz group. I don't mind that. But I feel that the place needs some rock once in a while, and I believe I can provide that. :D