Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College-goers-Accepted? Rejected? APPLIED?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    For all you college-age folks out there....who's been accepted by their number one choice, who's been rejected by their number one choice, and who's even applied?

I sent in my application to Baylor University in Waco, TX Saturday afternoon. Friday I discovered that Baylor REQUIRES you to have a foreign language to basically even consider you for admission, but my mom talked to the Dean of Admissions and he said to submit a letter explaining why I didn't have a language to the Admissions Committee and hope for the best (got good reasons, don't worry). So, I've been working on the letter for the past 2 hours. I'm hoping with my 3.55 GPA and 31 ACT, they'll go ahead and take me even though I can't speak anything but English and Okie. If I don't get accepted there, I don't even know where I'll apply....I expected to get in easily, especially with my ACT score, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Oh well.

Anyway, what about you all? Any news?

2. Do you mind if I ask why you don't have a foreign language? I mean, don't tell me if you don't want; I was just curious.

3. I'm a freshman at Macalester College right now, which was my close #2 choice. i really wanted to go to Tufts, but alas, no luck there. but that's alright, i'm loving Macalester so far...it's a great school. small, intelligent, liberal, in a city, lively...everything i wanted. i'm just moreso happy to be done with all the application business. hey, i'm happy to be out of high school!

anyways, good luck with your application to Baylor, that 31 ACT score is something to be pruod of.

Joel

4. I got to go to my #1 college. Granted its a community college. But it was my first choice! :D

I always thought that unless you have a scholarship or rich parents, there was no point in going straight to a four year from high school.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I applied to 3 colleges, got accepted to all 3... but Obviously I decided on the one I am at now.

Hunter, A good friend of mine attented and Graduated at bailer... Its a great college. And why don't you have a foreign language? Its my understanding that to graduate from high school you have to have at least 2 years of it.. thats how it is here anyway

6. Here in Cali you need 2 years of the same foriegn language to go directly to a four year from high school, not to graduate.

7. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i applied to 3 in september...and got accepted to all of them. my grades and sat's arent the greatest, but my resume of achievements makes up for it. in fact i have my down deposit onto my #1 choice...luckily i found out that theres a cool gutiar shop about 10 minutes out of campus this weekend :D . they had a beautiful ric 4003 with eden stacks begging for me to play...hehe. and yes, i have a few scholarships waiting for me.

8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    7 schools, but I won't hear from almost all until April. Northwestern, Rice, Washington University in St. Louis, Northeastern, Cornell, Stanford, and Vanderbilt. Rice will let me know in February. Wish me luck.

9. Cornell - I go there, It's tougher to get in now than it was 4 years ago, but you still got a chance.

Stanford - WHOA, YOU MUST REALLY HAVE SOME CREDENTIALS....VERY, VERY HARD TO GET INTO (unless you play a major sport :rolleyes: )

Rice and Northwestern - Very good schools with high academic standards

WU in STL - almost applied there, another good one

Northeastern and Vandy - don't know much about, so I won't lie

¬°Buena suerte iplaybass!

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN

HAHA
    :D

Thanks for the luck, Chris.

11. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i was accepted to my number #1 choice, top tier in new england, but decided against attending due to the price and my major: philosophy. over $50k in debt + b.a. in philosophy= poverty. unfortunately. so i went to wvu and drank too much.

12. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    i am really really REALLY nervous about college... so uh, i now know of 2 people on here that go to cornell, which is my dream... so exactly how hard was it?

if i don't go to cornell i'm hoping for ithaca college. i love ithaca, its a beautiful city, i've been going there almost every week for the past 7 years (i live in auburn), plus i've got family there. but if i don't get into cornell or ithaca, i'm sure my hopes for syracuse university are lost, ha.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hehe..want me to copy the 3 page letter I wrote to Baylor onto here?

No, it basically boils down to the fact that I originally planned to go to SOME college (no plans whatsoever where) and play in their band on a scholarship. I made all-state two years in a row, so I had a very good chance for a scholarship (offered 3 scholarships as a junior). Scheduling problems made it where I would have to drop my band class to take a foreign language during my freshman year. My sophomore year, I could take Latin, but the teacher was leaving the following year and it was doubtful they would hire a new one, which they didn't, so I could only take Latin I. My junior year I would have had to drop an elective I wanted to take, which wasn't a big deal, but I didn't want to have to go more than I had to my senior year because I wanted to concurrently enroll, and I have to work 30 hours a week.

So, in my opinion those are pretty good reasons. Hopefully the admissions committee will see it my way. What do ya'll think? It's basically a story of mixed up priorities as a young student, which is my fault, but also the school's fault for not providing enough options to be diverse.

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Baylor is one of the best colleges in the midwest (in my opinion:D )

We don't have to have it to graduate, and my counselor even told me that NCAA requirements state that you can have 3 extra units of required classes (maths, histories, or sciences) and that will count as your 2 years of foreign language. Nice to know I've been led astray and it's going to cost me what I want.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Accepted to my #1 choice, and the only college I applied to, SpringHill College, "the Notre Dame of the South".:rolleyes:
    I don't know about the requirements of Baylor, but with your ACT and GPA, there shouldn't be too much standing in your way, assuming that you challenged yourself in high school.
    Best of luck! Facing college was one of the most terrifying times of my life so far, and I almost didn't go, but now I love it!

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    They have an almost unconditional requirement of at least 2 years of a foreign language. I'm hoping my GPA and ACT score will get them to overlook that I didn't take a language. I did challenge myself, which is the reason I didn't take a language...I would've had to drop a couple of honors classes (or my band classes) to enroll in a language, which I didn't want to do.

The only thing about college I'm terrified about is being rejected by Baylor. I have had my mind set on them for the past 6 months, making plans to move there and everything, and now I find out they might not take me. Very, very nerveracking :(

17. Got in to what I wanted, but basicly it costs way to much per term for me to go quite yet. I'm taking 2 years down (or is that up?) at Clackamas Community, getting the Oregon Arts Transfer, and finishing the next 3 years at OSU. Go Beavs!!

Rock on
    Eric

18. I think you will get accepted.

WHEN you get accpeted, go in there with a no-frills, take-no-prisoners attitude, good things will happen.

I know this now, didn't know it before.

19. Hehehehe...you want the good news or the truth?

Contrabajista, I sent you a PM with what I think.