College Graduation (who do give the tickets to?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    So I will be graduating college this May with my B.A. in Law & Justice. :hyper:

Both the University ceremony and my college ceremony (Liberal Arts & Sciences) are scheduled to be outdoors. If it is indeed outdoors, there is an unlimited amount of people that can attend, they just won't be very close.

If it is bad weather, then I only get 3 tickets to give out. Which presents a huge problem for me.

Obviously tickets 1 and 2 go to my parents. The problem lies with the 3rd ticket.

My options are:
    Sister
    Girlfriend
    Best friend of 18 years
    Grandmother on Mom's side
    Grandmother on Dad's side.

I don't wanna take either of my Grandmothers, mostly because I don't want it to seem like I'm playing favorites to either side of the family.

I'm hesitant of bringing my girlfriend. At the time of my graduation, I will have only known her for a little over a year, and who knows how long we'll actually stay together after I'm done school and she still has two more years. Don't wanna "waste" my graduation ticket.

I want to bring my best friend. Him and I have been through pretty much everything together, since the first day of school when we were 4, up all the way through college graduation. Definitely my "heterosexual-soulmate".

My sister is 13, and I don't think she'll enjoy just sitting through two 2-hour ceremonies in hot gymnasiums.

My mom wants me to take my sister, but I want to take Joe (best friend). Shouldn't it be my choice, as I've been the one working my butt off the past 3.5 years to graduate? Shouldn't it be my choice who I invite to MY graduation?

Any advice / what anyone else did?

2. Bring Joe.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Wow, that's pretty limiting. I believe I got 15 tickets for my college graduation. But ours was divided up by major so there were only 600 or so people graduating with me, not thousands.

But to answer your original question, I say ask your buddy if he really wants to go. If he says yes, give him the ticket. But in all honesty I wouldn't want to go. College graduations are horribly boring. If I was your buddy I'd be more than happy to skip the ceremony as long as we partied together that night to celebrate.

If he doesn't want to go, then give the ticket to your sister. She won't enjoy it, but then you won't enjoy sitting through hers in 9 years either.

4. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Bring Maki
    or John Turner.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    i say bring the girl.

6. This.

7. This.

lowsound

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Little Extra Info:

Joe plans on bringing me to his, he'll have enough tickets.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would say sister - immediate family first.

10. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hm I would go with Joe personally, have you tried asking around seeing if anyone has extra or unused tickets?

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Girlfriend if you're close and you think it's got a future, sister if you don't. Even then, ask your girlfriend first if she even wants to go, because I've sat through 2 graduations and they suck. Don't subject your bro to that, just make sure to party with him later.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Your sister. But I'm all about family for stuff like this.

-Mike

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021