1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

college majors...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Feast, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys, I didnt know where to put something like this but I thought that Miscellaneous would be the best fit.

Im a junior in highschool right now and people have been telling me that its time to start thinking about shaping my classes around what I want to do as I get older and to start thinking about college stuff (Majors, places, schools)

ive talked to my father alot about the subject and he is an electrical engineer and says If I want to go into something music related, that looking into engineering too would help.

when I get older, I think I want to either work at becoming some sort of sound engineer at a record company type workplace, or start my own company of bass stuff like cabs.

what I want to know is for all you guys out there that know how to rewire basses, make cabs, and have a steady job with music or something else, what did you study??

I know alot of you are also very knowledgable about sound IE
    watts, wavelengths, ohms, hz and others. It would be great if someone could maybe direct me to a website or something that would teach me the basics of all of the above in a way a kid in highschool can understand.

yes I know and appologize very very long post, but I come on here so often, that I knew that there are alot of great people on here to help me out.

2. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Well if you want to design and wire stuff, you should be looking into electrical engineering. Difficult major that will leave little time to dabble in music for the next 4 years. Of this I have 1st hand knowledge.
    For sound engineering you could be looking into Music Technology. That degree specializes in studio recording and mixing and so forth. However, Music Technology requires you to be proficient on an instrument and study most of the music theory classes that a Music Major would. This is a very popular degree and thus they are very selective in accepting people in this major.

John

3. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Keep in mind with any "Music Technology" or similar major, that available jobs at studios and the like are disappearing at a rapid rate. It's hard to find a job in the recording field now, in 4-5 years it will most likely be even harder. Only pursue a music specific degree if you are willing to accept that you will probably not get a job related to music after you graduate.

With that in mind.. An Electrical Engineering degree is far more marketable than a Music Tech degree.

Not trying to discourage, if music is your passion I think you should go for it. But make sure you have some plans for how you're going to pay the bills while you try and establish yourself with music. Personally, I have a Music Business degree and I work in IT.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    It sounds like you'd be best to just get something like an EE degree and try to use it in the fields you wish to work in (building bass gear, etc.) If that doesn't work out for you, at least you still have a job.

Just get a physics book. Something like you'd use in a senior high school class or intro university level should be easy to understand.

5. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Another angle for doing cabs might be physics, as you'd certainly get the electronics aspect, and it would help with the design of cab enclosures (i.e. you'd come away with a decent knowledge of the math underlying waves).

Personally, I picked up my electronics knowledge/experience from physics & chemistry classes in HS, college & grad school.

6. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    thanks for all the fast responces

And, I'm actually signed up for a physics class first semester as I go back to school in september, but maybe Ill get a book or something too.

7. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Im psychology major, minoring in music. both are pretty cool.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've seen some EE planning sheets. Essentially, their 4 years are laid out for them with very little wiggle room. =/

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yep, that's basically how it was for me, as an ME. Kind of a bummer, but whatever. You get a decent amount of electives at the end, though.

I had plenty of time for music, though. It's just something you have to make time for.

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yes, there's no reason not too keep up music on the side during a structured degree like engineering. Taking a couple music courses is really useless anyway - IMO music school has to be an all or nothing affair. A music minor or the like is about the most useless thing you can do, even in terms of musical development.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That's why you can be like me and do physics. Not nearly as many classes to take, but you can become an engineer anyway, since you learn most stuff on the job anyway. Of course, you won't get the same starting salary as a someone with a degree in engineering, but if you're as laid back as me, you won't care. ;)

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a business management major concentrating in marketing while double minoring in accounting and economics.

Who says I can't know anything about anything else? I've always had a passion for mechanics, electronics, etc. And I'll not let my lack of formal education in that area stop me from doing what I enjoy.

13. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I underwent the most significant musical development of my life during college, due in large part to my "psuedo-minor" in music (I decided to take an extra semester of composition instead of the music history course I'd need for a real minor). Some theory, four semesters of comp and a wide array of ensembles (band, orch., jazz combo) really stimulated my growth as a player and as an artist.

14. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
  15. I am currently a Electrical Engineering student. I will be going into my second year.

So far it has been pretty demanding academically, but with a little focus and hard work, it is easily doable.

If electronics is something you are into, I recommend it. It is very math and science heavy, obviously ;) , so if that worries you, you may want to reconsider your major choice.

If you are worried that studying electrical engineering will not leave you anytime for music, don't. If music is something you really want to do, most schools with an arts and sciences program have music. It is possible to have a music minor. It will be very demanding, scheduling wise, but if its something you want to do, you can do it.

I am currently taking music lessons in double bass and electric bass while doing all my engineering schoolwork. I will also be playing in ensembles. Plus, I am also getting a minor in mathematics. Trust me its possible.

My final word of advice, don't half-ass your major. Pick something you like and something you will be committed to finishing, but don't be afraid of changing. Going into a tough major like engineering is not going to turn out that well if it is something you really don't want to do.

Good luck in you quest!

16. Electrical Engineering.

a good friend of my dad's did that in university, and now travels north america as a recording engineer, studio consultant, etc.