1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

College Next year - laptop??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybassguitar, Dec 29, 2006.

1. hey guys, i got accepted to the state university of new york at Oneonta, and i will be going there in the fall of 07.

i know most students have laptops on campus, and i intend on joining these folks. i will be majoring in music industry, with a minor in audio production, and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for laptops. should i get a mac? i dont wanna spend an arm and a leg, but if anyone has suggestions for a good laptop for about 1200 or less, let me know.

thank you

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    When I was in college I always wanted to punch the students with laptops, and I'm a pacifist.

I went to a state school and there were enough free computer labs that I didn't even need to own a computer of any sort.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since you are doing music, a mac would be a good idea. If you decide not to get a mac, get an IBM T series. I am getting a T60 soon.

4. im sure this is true, actually i know it is, but you gotta admit that it woulda been easier with a laptop. more convenient at least.

5. Judging by where you live and your intended major and minor, I am guessing you are going where I go, Oneonta. If so, then from what I have seen most music majors have macbooks. On the other hand, I have also seen my fair share of music industry majors with no laptops at all, and some with dell laptops. I really don't think you can go wrong with one specific brand.

If you are previously used to macs, they do have some immediate benefits though, so you may want to look into them. If you really enjoy Windows, then there are some great products from Dell, Toshiba and IBM.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i'd say get a macbook, and you can run windows on it, if you need to.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I disagree with the statement that dell is a great product. I feel that dell puts out terrible products. Their computers are user friendly but are ultimately difficult to work with in regards to upgrading them, and there is a lot of useless crap that they put on there to slow them down. They are not efficient.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm with you on that. I never understood why anyone would want to carry around a laptop to every class for reasons other than showing off. Me, I always carried a pen. I always had friendly classmates who would lend me a piece of paper in the event I needed to write something down.

9. i agree with all the mac suggestions--in my second year of college I got an iBook G4 and I couldn't be happier that i did. It comes with garageband, so you can record yourself, and you still can have a lot of the same things that windows has, like msn messenger and for writing papers I use either Appleworks or OpenOffice :)
    I say get a macbook, and like Bob said, you can still run windows if you have to :)

10. I am going to have to agree with that statement, and I am typing this on a Dell Laptop which I got wen I was in the OP's situation. Honestly, Dell's are really bogged down with programs and such that came with it, and I fixed it all, but then again... I have a lot of know-how in the area. Granted, if my hunch from before was accurate and he is going to the same college as me I would be glad to help him out and optimize his computer ;) Overall I am 100% satisfied with my computer though.

11. MacBook all the way.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Having a laptop in college was great for me. My university had a campuswide wireless network (which I'm sure most colleges nowadays have) so I could check email, get on the internet, talkbass, etc in class, at the library, in the lab, even sitting in the grass outside on a nice day while watching the girlies walk by in their tank tops and skirty skirts.

If you decide to go with a mac, look into apple's student discount. It's an easy way to save a couple hundred bucks.

13. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I started college without a working computer. Even though I lived on campus, it was a hassel to type everything up in the computer labs. I'm a science major but I still had to take english, which involved a lot of writing.

I got my laptop at the beginning of the next semester and I loved it! I do not take my laptop to class every day unlike some of my classmates. For a few days each month, my laptop would tag along especially if I had to study online notes or I need to do online research.

I would recommend a smaller/lighter laptop. Mine's pretty heavy to haul around. I have a Dell and I've had no problems with it, but than again, I haven't tried to update it. I also know nothing about computers other than mine works fine for me.

14. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i started note takign on my lap top...i go to UAlbany, pretty close to oneonta...the big advantage of a laptop is that most places are wireless now. i coudl go anywhere in my appartment, my parents have wireless in our house at home, the entire campus is wireless and most cafes and coffee shops in the area are wireless. as far as takign notes...i can write down key terms and then do searches on wikipedia or other onlien sources, cut adn paste intoa word document...and im set.

having a laptop and a good speaker sytem also makes any sort of stereo pointless and saves space, also portable dvd watching is a big thign for college students.

the best thign for you would eb a newer mac book i would say, the garage band stuff is amazing...my brother goes to SUNY Purchase and uses a mac, does everythgin he needs it to. i have an acer travle mate whcih was essentially a gift from my job via gift certificates to overstock.com...i love it, but for the more heavy applications and audio stuff i woudl get a mac.

15. yeah i am going to oneonta, i said that i think...

do you like it there?

16. Dont get a mac... they are basically PC's now that they have Intel. And the mac's are expensive(I put a macBook beside an HP and the specs were darn near the same, but it was a massive proce difference.)... IBM's are great.

17. macs are a lot better for a lot of the stuff i might use it for though arent they?

i know macs are favored in the music and film industries because they are better for that type of work.

18. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Well, out of the box, they are quite crappy.

However, I use a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Reloaded Windows XP Home after wiping the disk, and it runs great. I use it for recording aswell via the FireWire. pretty cheap, quite powerful, and quite sturdy laptop. Works great for pretty much anything.

Though, I would still get a Mac, I should've.

Laptops are great :)

19. If you get a macbook make sure you get the 13" version, there's your portability.

20. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Dells are terrible solely because of their cheap quality and terrible customer support...

If you feel like talking to someone who can barely speak english when you're trying to resolve a problem... go Dell...

otherwise, i'd say get a Macbook