College = no bass building... :(

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fasoldt Basses, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Here are some pictures of the bass I'm woking on now: This is for TBer fattom. I have no room and hardly any time to work on it here at school so its going VERY slowly. I did all the machining and gluing etc. before leaving for school; all I've been able to do at school is work on the carving.
    Some specs:
    Maple/wenge neck from Larry, with pau ferro between the neck and the body sides.
    Walnut body, bookmatched maple top... the top I found at woodcraft in the twin cities for $23.
    It'll have an ebony fingerboard w/ one abalone block inlay @ 12th fret.
    EMG HZ's, Bartolini 3-band.
    I hope to have it done by the end of Christmas break. Tom wants to have it in time to play in show choir so as to wow the babes.

2. I'm really diggin the body style, but what kinda headstock design are you using? Looks great so far!
  3. great work! I love how it's looking. Hope you can find more time soon. Post finished picks when your done PLEASE! :)
  4. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Wow..I really really like that bass. And I totally feel your pain. College is killing my bass building as well. luckily though, I'm commuting to Stony Brook U so I can manage to find some time on the weekend here and there.
  5. :eek: :eek: :eek: ......... that is the most beautiful bass i have ever seen.... :eek: :eek: :eek:
  6. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I loved that body shape on the last bass you posted (possibly one of the greatest body shapes ever). the fancy lams make it about 100X better.
  7. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Wow...I really like that look! The thin binding really accents the woods......nice work!

PS Are there any music colleges that also offer music construction and repair courses? thanks...
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    beautiful bass man, you have some real talent there.
  9. That is absolutely stunning.

I'll take one.
  10. Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    Wow excellent stuff there, really diggin it.

Pitty about college, doing the same for my project, naff all has been done in too long. But it will get done, thats what matters to me for now .... only cause its the one thing thats keeping everything moving, no matter how slow.

Really nice design btw, and a beautiful top.

11. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Great looking design! I'm interested to see the headstock and also how your input jack turns out. Is that the input jack hole that's slanted? What type of jack do you use?
    Also, how thick was your bookmatched top when you glued it up? THat's a nice find for Woodcraft.....
    What kind of bit did you use to round the edges of the body?
    More info please!.......
    Can't wait to see it finished.
  12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow, VERY nice, i totally dig the body shape. And Contersunk knobs? DA BOMB! I wanna see the headstock too.
  13. fattom

Apr 4, 2005
    wow, that is the best thing in the world, I can't wait.
    show me more picks
  14. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Wow, thanks everyone!
    I haven't got much time but I'll try to answer some of your questions...
    The headstock will have a matching quilted maple headplate, with a layer of wenge veneer underneath the headplate. The tuners will be 2R, 2L, and slanted toward the body end. Sorry, I can't put any more pics up right now 'cause I no longer have access to a camera. I'll work on it though.
    Concerning the output jack: I drilled a 3/4" hole at an angle through the top and into the electronics cavity. I will make a 3/4" round plug about 1/4" thick, with a hole drilled in it to accomidate the jack. This piece will be glued in and I will have an effective outout jack. I did it on my last bass and it worked really well.
    The body edges were not rounded with a bit, but with a spokeshave, files, and elbow grease. The quilted maple is pretty hard to work with because there really is no grain orientation - it's just all over the place. I had to set up spokeshave to take off as little as humanly possible to keep it from chipping out the wood.
    All right, I must away ere break of my shift. thanks so much for the compliments guys.:D
  15. Fat, I *DEMAND* that you finish this bass ASAP!!!! F-school! :smug:
  16. Man, what a bass!
    Congrats, you're skilled!

17. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Amen on the College = no bass building. It really sucks. I think I'm going to start ordering wood and parts for my next project regardless, I guess I'll just have to work on it on breaks.
  18. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    You should be partying and enjoying your college days!!! The basses can wait! Trust me. Once you get out of school, and get into a full-time paying job that you start hating in 3-4 years, the bass building will come in handy, naturally, of course.

Seriously... enjoy these moments. I wish I could go back to school right about now!
  19. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    WHAT!????? I'm pretty sure that "enjoy these moments" means BUILD BASSES, not "party"... the end goal is not to get a "full time paying job that I'll hate in 3 or 4 years", but "build basses for a living". arrrrgggggggggh some people. ;) :D