Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Radio

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bigmanb, Sep 12, 2002.

1. I just became a DJ for my college's radio station. I'm excited about how much freedom we get. I can play whatever I like, and there are no commercials. I think it's gonna be so much fun. Did anyone else dj for their school?

2. I'm currently a DJ at Rock104. It's sort of a college station: all the jocks are students, some of the operations staff are students, we're the home of the Gators, and we're located in the College of Journalism and Mass Comm. However, we are financially independent, selling ad time, running concerts and promotions, etc.

The only problem with the freedom that comes along with stations like yours is that you don't really get a good feel of what it's like to work at a "real" station. I don't know if you want to get into the radio industry or if you're just doing it for kicks (hey, who wouldn't want to?), but there's a big difference between stations that exist solely for entertainment and those that exist to make money.

Regardless, radio is a lot of fun and I love it.

3. :mad: Edited by Jazzbo.

Blatant disregard of usage agreement. I suggest you re-read it.

4. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :confused:

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yay!!! time for a ban!!! woohoo!!!!

6. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey, Matt Lite. I think our bass player's girlfriend just got an internship at your station. Her name is Kara.

If not, you think there's any chance of hooking a fellow talk basser up and playing our cd a couple times??:) Email me.

Alex

Forgot to mention...we're out of Gainseville/Orlando.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    turret syndrome?

8. There's nothing wrong with trying to be polite... :rolleyes: (and once again, though I'm no moderator, might I suggest that you read the forum rules, or as I like to call them "common sense", before posting)
    And, if this site is as bad as you seem to think it is (and I must agree that it is a bad forum for insulting people, but a great forum for discussing bass related, and other, topics in a nice conversational manner), why do you keep visiting it? Are you under gunthreat or something?
    Oh, if you feel like responding to this post of mine in your usual touchy manners, please PM/e-mail me instead of posting here so that noone else has to read it.

Jazzbo likes this post. A lot!

Bigmanb, sorry for hijacking this thread, but back on topic: congratulations on your gig! I don't know squat about American college radio, but I do know that the Swedish variety often leaves a lot to be desired from a technical point of view. The music played, though, is often a nice departure from what the commercial stations pour out, but not so much from the state owned public service variety (which I personally prefer for a lot of different reasons). Still, college radio is a great plant school where you can learn a craft, and being a radio DJ seems like a lot of fun, especially if you get to write the playlist yourself. I would play quite a few Yo La Tengo songs (gotta love that band) myself.
    Keep enjoying doing what you do! :)

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I love college radio...it's all that I listen to in the car(that and the classical station, that's right ONE). Best around here: <a HREF="http://www.ktru.org">KTRU</a>