Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sharp, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    hey-
    so, i go to college next year, and I play bass still, but I'm thinking i need a new rig. that being said, i dont expect ill have very much room at all. so, what're the suggestions for a decently powered, sweet sounding, reasonably sized, not horribly expensive (somewhere under $1750) rig?
    there are people at talkbass in college, what do you all use? how does it work for you? suggestions?
    thanks-
    -Tom

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Euphonic Audio CxL 1x12 ($650ish)
    Head of your choice for $1100

3. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i should say that im into playing jazz (upright & electric), rock, funk, soul, hiphop, blues, ect. fingerstyle and slap

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My college rig is where it's at. Pretty cheap as well when everything is used. The big one is still at home so I can have it shipped if I need more. Heheheh :bassist: :bassist:
    [​IMG]

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I lived in the dorms my first two years of college. I found the only way to keep all of my neighbors happy (some of them actually liked listening to me play) was to play through a decent set of headphones. I know that doesn't help you out at all, but it's definitely something to consider when living in close proximity with others. ;)

That being said, you can get a Redhead or Metro combo for under the price you listed, especially if you go used. Nothing saves space like a combo. (I wish I had a Redhead or a Metro. ;))

6. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    hey-

thanks everyone so far, you're all helpin alot! to help direct things some, im not so much worried about practicing in the dorms (i dig the headphone thing) as Im worried about gigging around and having a powerful enough rig to hold down small-med sized venues and whatnot. keep the suggestions comin'! :)

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get the Metro, an 8ohm one. Legendary Eden quality in a small, easily movable package. Then you have a chance to add an extension cab and get louder.

Check out a Silverado....there was/is one for sale here at TB. I finally was able to play on one recently, and it sounds amazing. Two 12's, and not that big.

embellisher hasn't done it yet, so i will for him......get a Peavey BAM210. He swears by them, even over a Metro.

You won't have any issues with any of those combos, unless you decide to play a huge outdoor venue.

-Mike

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    As mentioned, a combo like the BAM, Metro, or Redhead (all 2x10s, BTW) would be a good way to go. With one of those you have good amounts of power in a small, convenient package, and you can always add anothe 2x10 or 1x15 under them if you have enough space. Or, if you'd like to go with a pre/power type setup, you have TONS of options. Before I started reading the posts, I was thinking of a QSC with the pre of your choice and an Acme B2 or Low B2.

FWIW, Peter McFerrin was using an EBS Fafner and a pair of Aggie 112s for his college rig. That's small, light, and easy to transport. Another small rig, VERY portable rig I've seen was BassMonkee's Aggie 112, EA110, with a Mesa Walkabout. Very nice.

Edit: I see that you're currently using a WM's 15...do you plan on keeping that? Isn't it the 4004 amp section, or the 2004? If it's the 4004, I'd say just use that, and add maybe a 2x10, if you have the room.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    When I was in a dorm my first year of college I had a Carvin RC210 combo. It sat in the corner out of the way and never caused a problem. Right now I have an Eden 4x10 and two six space racks, plus I still have the Carvin. If I stack everything, the footprint is the same as having just the Carvin combo. Just remember, you can always stack stuff to take up less floorspace. If you're really cramped, though, an older Epifani 2x12 on its side has a very small footprint, and can get stupid loud. Get a head/rack to put on top of it and you're set.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    like SoCom suggested,

IMHO, a pair of Aggie 1x12's would rock your world. both together is more than enough volume to kick out for a loud band, and you can take a single one for your low volume coffeehouse gigs. you can grab them pretty used in the classifieds right here on the board. i've seen a few go for at least $300 or less.

with that extra moolah, you can get a few great sounding heads to go with it. my own pick would be an EA iAMP800. the clearer sounds of the EA would be a nice complement to the normally dark, smooth sounding Aggies. another great one is the Mesa Mpulse line. the lighter Walkabout is killer thru Aggie cabs, too. if you dig the darker and smokier side, then no question an Eden WT550 is right up your alley.

11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is my college rig right now. I love it. It is more than I need for any college gig that I play. The MPULSE600 sounds incredible with the Aggie Cabs. I would recommend getting a Walkabout though for portability sake. The only downside to my M-Pulse600 is it weighs about 26lbs + the weight of the rackbag. Which isn't much compared to other rigs, but still. I'd love to be able to throw my head in a backpack and go. I would even say go with just one GS-112. I use that at practices right now and it is more than enough bass. But if you feel like you might need the extra firepower, get two GS-112's like most of us have and use that. Also, know that you won't get a lot of room in your dorm room. And most likely it will be even less because you might have to share your room as a Frosh. And a big big warning, college kids don't like having a lot of bass go through the dorms, so be sure to get something with a headphone jack or at least be nice to your RA, so he won't write you up every time he gets a noise complaint about you. Luckily for me, I am the RA in my dorms. :cool:

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Pssh 30 pounds is nothing :)

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  15. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    If you want something you can use and not bother anyone else, I suggest the Tascam CD-BT1.
    [​IMG]

Simply an excellent practice tool. $149.00.

The other question is what are you planning to do with it(Rig)? Is it strictly for practice? Or do you plan to gig, rehearse with others etc.?

16. i had a carvin PB-300C 1x15" combo that fit in my closet. my roommate never realized i had it until i pulled it out one day.

i have since sold it to a kid who's still in college and wanted a smaller rig for his dorm room. wow, deja vu. wow, deja vu.

anyway, i have a wild hair for a nemesis 210 combo, which is smaller and considerably lighter (almost half the weight) of my old carvin combo. it's also smaller and lighter than a metro or BAM. that's the cheap solution.

the more expensive solution, my future rig, is the preamp of your choice, a 1U amp like a peavey DPC 1400x or stewart world 1.2, and a bergantino HT-112. not quite as light as the nemesis, but in two pieces for even weight distribution. with a backpack gig bag, you can carry your bass and rig into the gig in one trip. it will fit just about anywhere.

you'll also be hard pressed to find a better sounding combination. and while we're at it, you may as well look into an epifani T-112 and jokerjkny's pair of epifani UL-110 cabinets for $550 + shipping. [free ad space here]

you can probably get the amp and a preamp used for $500, and the cabinet is $569 shipped. i have only ever seen one HT-112 used and it sold for $400, i think. i have an ampeg SVP-BSP that is going out to basstasters soon, and it will be up for sale when it gets back.

all are good options, but if you're a lightweight freak like me, the BAM and metro, while great sounding amps, are simply too large and heavy. that's about as far as i'll naysay either of those amps.

robb.

17. Korey

Korey

Oct 29, 2003
    Lexington, KY
    I keep my SWR Goliath III and mesa 400+ in the dorm. Mabe its overkill, but i cant live without it. The RA's look at me like im crazy when i roll that bad boy in. I wish i could bring in the ampeg 810e. Honestly though, I'll probably move this thing over to our new practice space and leave it, and buy a small combo to leave in the room.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, I'm a really bad example... :D

But I use an 40XLT, Big Ben, Carvin poweramp and Eden WT-300 as a bedroom amp and all around preamp.

Not a typical "college" rig, to be sure.

20. wow, judging by the gear some of you have as college students, you must have trust funds.. :ninja:

Let's see, sophomore year I used a small Hartke B30 combo, it worked fine for practicing solo. I wouldn't even think of using headphones - IMO they suck all the enjoyment out of playing bass, and if your RA bitches about it, tell him to go bust the kids down the hall playing Fifty Cent way too loud through their stereos.

Junior and senior year I had a 2x10/1x15 stack sitting in the corner of my room, powered by a Peavey Nitrobass.. although I couldn't turn the volume past 1 without it being waayy too loud, I needed it since the little Hartke couldn't handle playing with a drummer and guitarist.