College rigs anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 2, 2004.

1. hello,

i have a question to all the bassists in college right now, or have been in a dorm before.

what is your rig? i am trying to find something small enough to still fit in a dorm, but still affordable (college student here talking).

also, has anybody had a problem with dorm security? i know security sounds a bit tight, but i just want to know if my whole setup is going to be stolen or not.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Keep in mind you're gonna have like no room. I knew a kid who played guitar, brought a Mesa Rectifier and a 4x12 into the room and it just dominated the place and wound up being a pain in the ass. You should really find something small, like a combo, but has plenty of balls. A Fender Bassman 400 would be good, anything with plenty of power and small size will serve you well in the dorms. The less stuff which can be easily removed from your setup the better because some people like to steal things just for fun and that's not fun for us bassists. A lot of people take stuff for drugs so be careful who you let in your room and who your roomie brings around. Keep your gear hidden away and out of sight if at all possible. But like i said, you're gonna have a very VERY small amount of space to work with bro. At least if the dorms are like the ones we had at Indiana.... Good luck buddy, and congrats, college is gonna be the best times you've ever had bro.
  3. right...thats what i was kind of getting at...i didn't want to bring my peavey 1810 up 4 flights of stairs, and it is really big. i was looking to see what everybody here did while at college, to give me ideas. i was almost thinking getting something small like a korg pandora, or something with a headphone output...and i'll have to sleep with my bass!

4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've got an ashdown eb2x10 combo that i shall be part-ex'ing in september for a mag head and mini 4x8 cab :)
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The Korg is a great idea. I'm well past college, but I use a Korg and headphones to practice late at night. As for basses, I wouldn't take anything horredously valuable with you. I never had anything stolen in college, but then again I never had anything of value there. I've got to say that I really love my Steinberger Spirit bass from Music Yo. I don't gig with it, but I do take it camping with me. I can take it and my Korg and I don't have to worry about theft. It is also small enough that you can stick it just about anywhere.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd take a small combo, preferably something like a good 112 or 110 but not anything bigger than a 210, and put it in a closet of cupboard. Thats what happens to my 110, and no probs so far. Takes up little space and can not be seen if you enter the room
  7. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I used to have a Nemesis 2x10 (One from the very first run, too) and it was the perfect size for college. Small enough for the dorm, and loud enough for the band. Quite affordable to boot, too...
  8. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I hid a Nemesis 1x15 combo under my bed throughout college. Bad plan. Maybe a headphone amp from Cafe Walter or Raven Labs is in order? I don't know how the price would compare to a Pandora, but it would be a solid tool for a very long time. Beyond that, I agree with the idea of a 1x10 or 1x12 or something. Heck, if a Mag 1x10 is good enough for Colin Greenwood to track a record with, it'll do for dormsville.
  9. Chaputa

Why was the 1x15 a bad plan? Outside of size, whic hthe 2x10 is compact. You can use the headphone jack in the amp for the quieter playing. Other than that I thought the 2x10, not being that much bigger than the 1x10 (if you can get one anymore...I see they have the 1x12 that's the same size). Its really a question of compromise and what your intents are. If you don't plan on playing in a band situation, than a 1x10 is fine. If you're thinking more than that, than you'll need more than that. I wen to school with a peavy minx 110, and after a couple months of trying to play with that, graduated to the 2x10.

Now if you want a great comprimise, and can afford it...there's the mesa walkabout stuff as well as the aggie 1x12's with your choice of amplification...just costs more!
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get a cheapa$$ Roland Cube and a Steinberger Spirit. You can throw it all in a closet for the sake of security and space, and it'll be better for practice (esp. if like me, you tend to get headphone fatigue).
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In my college days I had an old Bassman head and a 1-15 cabinet. That's about as big as you'd want to have in a typical dorm room. A 2-10 would be pushing it...

So stick to 1-12" or 1-15", either a head/cab or a combo. You might want to get something used and beat looking in case it gets stolen.

The guys I really pity are drummers :D
  12. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I'll be moving into the dorms this fall, so I also looked around for smaller cabs to replace my 4x10. I wound up snagging a pair of aggie 112's off of the 'Bay. Really portable and really big sounding.
  13. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get the Behringer 1x12 combo. Cheap - in the event it gets lifted, sounds good enough, powerful enough for any gig you'll have in a college environment.

Bringing anything worthwhile just ups the chance of you getting ripped off. Bring the minimum you need, you should be fine.
  14. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I have all of my amp stuff in my apartment: (2 - 410's, 2 - 115's, Eden WT-800, Rack with Pre power etc.) When I'm practicing in my apartment I'll usually plug in the eden to the ampeg 410 (8ohm). I can get this quiet enough to not bug anyone and if someone does complain I break out the old headphone amp and the bose headphones.
  15. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    If you brought a bigger cab, you could just put a cover on it so you dont mess it up, and then sit some stuff on it. then you've got a nice gigging rig and/or snazzy bit of dorm furniture! and EVERYONE WILL THINK IT'S JUST A TABLE. No thieving then! Ha!
  16. BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    If you aren't going to be jamming or gigging, I'd suggest a Tascam CD-BT1 Bass Trainer. It's a headphone amp and CD player in a single unit, with effects and useful functions. Get the (extra cost) wall wart, because otherwise you'll be replacing AA alkalines every two to three hours of playing time.

If you want to keep your options open for jamming, try scoring a used Ampeg Portabass rig with a 1x10 or 1x12 on eBay.

If you plan on gigging, you'll need something bigger; but by the time you get to that stage, maybe you'll be able to afford an off-campus apartment. Or maybe the whole band can split the rent on a self-service storage space near the campus.
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i kept my swr wm15 combo for college, but i kept it stored in the coat closet of the suites i lived in, otherwise i wouldve gone with a 12" combo
  18. Chaputa

I'll second the BT1. I use it all the time in my apartment. Apartment dwellers tend to be less understanding than the average dorm dweller. It's probably the best learning tool money can buy.

As far as the dorm situation. It all depends. The dorms I was in were fairly nice. A decent amount of room. So I had no issue with my Nemisis 2x10 and Eden 115t. I had it set up to the stereo to annoy the neighbors (they hated our wake-up music for the weekends :) I have to strongly disagree on the 15" comments...The Nemesis 2x10 is wider but shorter and shallower than any 15" cab that I've ever seen. (Including combos). I won't say that my aggie 112 w/ a 400RB isn't killer and smaller, but it costs more...

...and for the record, I only used the Nemesis during college. I ditched it in favor of other BIGGER gear after I graduated... but outside of 1x10's, the Nemesis 2x10's are probably the perfect college dorm rig (and can second as a source for music...they sound better than most dorm stereos that I've heard) Just the right price (for the tone, it can't be beat), and compact size necessary for dorm living...

If you don't believe me, do a search...
  19. BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    Having given this some additional thought, it might be wise for any college student to try to find out just how much space the dorm rooms have beforehand. If the dorm rooms are of different sizes or configuratons, maybe it's possible to get a room assignment (and then actually visit the room with a tape measure) before moving onto campus; I did exactly that, eons ago.

When the above isn't possible, it might be best to plan on buying a suitable-size amp after getting settled in, when you can see just how much space you actually have ... and if you have some idea if your dormmates are the sort who will tolerate someone playing bass when they're trying to study-or-whatever.<g> I've roomed with guys who'd mess with my gear without my permission, or even over my protests; there was even one who took my guitar to the pawnshop so he could get gas for a weekend trip home; no, I never got it back, but he got new accommodations IYKWIM.
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I say if you're going with a 2-10, might was well go all the way.

They take up the same footprint and really if you have more than one thing just stack them. Thats what I do.

The only reason I would suggest small rigs is if you are living anywhere but the first floor. It also depends on where you are going and if there is an active music scene you plan on being part of.

Right now I have my Nemesis 210, Eden 210XST and an 8 space rack and it take up the same amount of usable space as any one of those would on its own. Also remember that you can stack your landry basket on top or even your mini fridge if you are tight for space.

The main reason I would say you should do something aside from the fact that you can is that when in college you will meet a lot of people in your age group who want to do nothing but have fun and the music scene is a big part of it. You dont want to be invited to play with a band only to have to turn them down because you left your amp at home.