Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

College Search Pt. 2: Anyone from Houston?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybass, Oct 20, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Anybody from Houston around on the boards? If so, could you tell me a bit about the character of the city, how you like it, etc. I'm looking at possibly going to Rice University, and while I love the school, I'd like to know a bit more about the city(what there is to do, etc...). Thanks in advance!

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yo!

I'm from Houston(as you can probably tell)...I couldn't tell you much about downtown (near Rice) mainly due to the fact I'm hardly down there, too much construction all the time. There are a few venues around that I've been too, but like I said, I don't go downtown often.

From where I've been, it hasn't been bad downtown, rather nice really.e

3. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I'm not from Houston, but being from Fort Worth, I looked into going to Rice. Real nice campus. I really wanted to go there, but didn't get in. I ended up here in College Station at Texas A&M. No regrets, except the application process was long and hard to get rejected. If you have any questions about that, let me know. They probably haven't changed it much in two years.

Also, what are you going there for? I was really interested in their engineering program. And that's what I ended up doing here at A&M.

Good luck,
    Chris

4. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Sorry,

In answer to your original questions as to what there is to do in Houston. I'm going there this weekend for a concert called Buzzfest, the annual radio station music festival thing. I'm going to see Audiovent, Earshot, Hoobastank, Boxcar Racer and Everclear. That's just one example of stuff to do there. Hope that helps.

Chris

5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Thanks a lot Chris. Yes, I too am interested in engineering. Anything that you could tell me about your application experience would be much appreciated, PM me if you don't want to post it on the board. Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun at that concert!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I lived in the Houston area for a while and my parents still live there. I was really into the club scene. The problem with Houston (versus Austin or Dallas) is that there is no centralized location that all the clubs are around. Austin has 6th street and Dallas has Deep Ellum but Houston has no equivalent. There are a few places where a few live music clubs are close together but for the most part you kinda have to plan your night based on local newsrags rather than hopping from club to club.

They do get some decent concerts though.

The area where Rice is located is a pretty cool area IMO. There are a lot of museums around there and the zoo and it's just a nice area and not too far from some clubs and whatnot.

Plainly put, Houston doesn't have the rich musical culture of some other cities but there's millions of people living in the metro area and any time there are that many people in one place there are going to be some cool things around and there are.

brad cook

ps - I also considered Rice but ended up only applying to Texas A&M and going there.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey man! I went to Texas A&M. I graduated in 1999 and then lived there working at UCS until 2001. Then I went overseas for a year and now I live in Temple, TX where my girlfriend is finishing med school.

What year are you? DO you play with any bands? I still have friends in College Station.

brad cook

8. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA

I'm class of 2004, Mechanical Engineering. And no, I'm not in a band, still learning. I am trying to find some local bands/musicians here to follow, and maybe get a little guidance from. If you know of any shows I should check out, lemme know.

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    This is going to be the hardest decision ever... everywhere I go is just so cool! Personally, I liked Houston a lot, but like you said, everything seemed to be very spread out. Rice was amazing, I just hope I get in. Hurrah for Talkbass! You guys are great help!

10. I live about 30 minutes southeast of Houston. Like DigMe said, there is no centralized location for anything. Although I believe there are a fair amount of clubs on Westheimer (which is also one of the scariest streets I've ever been on :eek: ).

Rice is a very hard university to get in, you must be pretty smart, eh?

11. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Yea, I know things. I won't list the particulars, but my college counselor says that I have a very good chance.

PS: If I spelled counselor wrong, you can all quietly laugh to yourselves about my true chances of getting in to Rice.:D