Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

college student looking for new bass ... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jbass24, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jbass24

jbass24

Feb 1, 2002
    Philly, NYC
    Hi all,

I'm currently playing a '46 Kay M1 with obligatos (just ordered some dominants to try) and am looking to upgrade to a bass in the 5-7k range. I just finished my first semester at msm (jazz major) and am becoming more and more dissatisfied with my kay. It doesn't really speak in thumb position, the arco tone leaves much to be desired, and it is difficult to play and practice on several hours everyday. For what I payed for the instrument (and put into it) it has really served me well but I feel like its time to look into a nicer bass. I've read through the forums a bit and I definitely want to try out the New Standards (particularly the hybrid models), a Wan-Bernadel (I recently played Steve Laspina's, but I'd like to spend some time with one), and will check out what David Gage and Mike Shank have at their shops. I feel like I can cover a good range of instruments this way but I was wondering if anyone has any advice/guidance? My old teacher at home has a Kolstein that he seems pretty happy with, would his shop be worth checking out? Ideally I'd like a good all around bass that will get me through school that I will really enjoy practicing on and playing. Thanks in advance.

2. jbass24

jbass24

Feb 1, 2002
    Philly, NYC
    anything?

3. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
  4. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might still be helpful. I recently visited Rumano Solano in Baltimore. He makes really good basses. For the work he produces, his prices are unbeatable. He is a very nice guy as well. There is a bassist in the Jacksonville Symphony who owns two pedigree Italian basses that has been playing his Solano bass in the orchestra and he said the rest of the section loves that bass. You can find Rumano Solano's number on Bob Golihur's page under luthiers or just ask me on a thread, a PM, or an e-mail.

5. jbass24

jbass24

Feb 1, 2002
    Philly, NYC
    I actually ended up ordering a hybrid Cleveland from Arnold Schnitzer. I went up to his shop to try out a few basses and convinced myself that I wasn't going to (and I could'nt) find anything I'd like better for the price. I'm anxiously waiting for it to be ready (should be done by september, I hope) and am getting really frustrated with my kay. thanks

6. Great to hear you found your bass. Those hybrids might just be the best bass for the money out there right now. It is certainly on my wish list. ;)

gomez

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats. I have a laminated Cleveland that i'm diggin. Eventually i'd like to pick up a hybrid from them.