College Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by groovit, Apr 1, 2005.

1. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey all-

I'm looking at colleges to go to. My plan right now is to get an electrical engineering degree, as I want to become and acoustical/audio engineer. The field I'd really like to get into is custom sound solutions for churches/clubs/other venues. I will be entering for the fall term of 2006. I am a senior in high school right now, so I will be taking a year off, and working full time while taking some core classes locally.

Right now, I'm looking into Georgia Tech, but I need some other options. Academically, most schools shouldn't be an issue. One possible issue is that I was homeschooled throughout high school, and some colleges do not smile on homeschooling.

I'm looking for a college that's not too huge, but not too small either. I'd rather not go to a liberal arts school, unless the engineering program is good there. Ideally, it'd also be somewhere other than the Northeast, but if I have no choice, then I have no choice...

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A location in your profile would help.

I disagree with your comment on homeschooling. I speak from
    having volunteered as a region leader for Alumni/ae
    that interview for Brown University. I can assure you that,
    from my experience, homeschooling is not 'frowned on', but
    very few young people have parents that can afford, or are
    able to stay at home to do so. Consider yourself very
    fortunate to have had literarally a private tutor.

I won't speak about down South as I am not that familiar with colleges there, but in NE there are a lot of good schools. Northeastern in Boston offers an excellent
    program combined with practicum. Worcester Polytech,
    RPI, and Lehigh in PA all are great places deserving of your
    attention as well. Cornell is worth a look, too. Plan a trip
    to NE and take the tours. You well may find a place you will
    love for 4 years.

Be sure to include a couple of 'high reach' schools in the mix.

Happy hunting and good luck!
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    RPI (rensellaer polytechnic) is a great school, my brother goes there and i migght also.
  4. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Sorry for not getting the locale info in. I am actually in NH, quite close to all of the schools you mentioned. Right now I am looking outside of NE, as I figured there's 49 other staes out there to look at, but if I find nothing then I will come back to NE...Thanks for the responses!

edit: What I meant regarding the homeschooling: Several colleges that I have looked at make it very difficult for homeschoolers to get, requiring more essays, higher academic standards, and, in case of Stanford, 3 SAT IIs more than public/private schoolers require. Note Stanford is not somwhere I am intending on going, but that I use it as an example of the non-freindliness that homeschoolers encounter in the admissions process. Granted, there are many schools, like Harvard, that go out of their way to recruit homeschoolers, but I do not think that that is the norm just yet. Hope that explains my comment, ;)
  5. I'm going to throw James Madison University into the mix. It's a very good school, and very fun. Everyone's extremely nice, and there's a great learning environment mixed with a great party scene. Check it out.

(My opinion might be slightly biased...)
  6. I know you said you were interested in schools outside of the NE, but I'm not quite informed about those schools.
    I would make a recomendation to look at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. Ok so its in snow country, but they have a realy good program there, and a nice campus (in my opinion). Or perhaps Cornell University. Just a suggestion or two. I'm planning on either one of these after my time at community college is up, for civil engineering.
  7. Yeah, I've heard about that. Fortunately, we have the HSLDA to defend us. I got into college just fine, and I was homeschooled all my life. :)
  8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you want to major in Engineering, it's all about the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign!!! :hyper:

ILL-INI :)
  9. groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Yep, it's a good thing they're around...

Thanks for the other options!
  10. If you can get past the fact that Cornell is ginormous, it may be the kind of place for you.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on Clarkson. My dad went there, and he grew up there. Great, cute little town/city.