College Tuition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    As some of you may know, I was recently accepted into my dream school, Ithaca College, as an undergrad in Music Education! I am gonna be a teacher. I am still stoked about this, which is totally awesome news!

The bad news: Ithaca is a very expensive college. VERY expensive. I wasn't (as of yet) offered any scholarsips. I am going to need a lot of financial aid if I am to attend Ithaca.

Does anyone know of any ways for me to get more money? We submitted our FAFSA, so we will be getting grants from the Government and the College, but there is still a lot of money that is left to fill the gap. Are there any special grants or scholarship programs I should look into, special loans that my mom and I should consider, sponsorships, anything?

Any and all help is appreciated!

I am considering the idea of Military Reserves for college money, so if any reservists (or any other military personnel/past military personnel) out there want to give me any advice, words of wisdom, or suggestions, send me a PM or an IM.

And Gabu, I'd mortgage my cat, but I don't think it would get a whole lot ;)

Thanks a lot everyone :)
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm glad uncle sam is paying all of my tuition and fees for this year and the next. Just had to say that. :smug:
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Congrats on the acceptance, Nick. The only advice I can offer is to check with your guidance counselor and the admissions and financial aid offices at Ithaca. My high school guidance counselor didn't like me, and went as far as to tell an assistant principal (my best friend's mom), that she didn't want to help me get into any colleges. Someone convinced my college that I was actually smart, so they decided to give me pretty much enough money to go there. There are plenty of books available on getting financial aid. Everyone from Wal-mart to Coca~Cola to Pizza Hut gives away money for college educations. The money's out there, you just have to dig to find it. Good Luck!
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I was kicking around the idea of a spendy Ivy league school at one time and looked into almost every avenue there was regarding financial aid. This was before the internet got really popular and easily available.

During my second round of college, I found this page which pretty much echoes everything I found out years ago. As it may have been mentioned before, you have to knock on every door and try everything, because you really don't know which source will help you out.

Start on this stuff now, because it's first come, first served as far as funds go and the year's money set aside by organizations for scholarships can go fast. Also, don't pay for a service to do this stuff. Those services mostly offer things that you could find for free on your own if you dig deep enough.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA estimated family contribution on my FAFSA app was over $20,000. I don't get squat from uncle sam. :(

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks for the congrats everyone :)

MJ, my EFC is around 10K, so we will be getting a little more help with that, but my mom is a single parent, so it is difficult.

20db, thanks a lot for the link, I will scour that up and down a few times and see what I can get.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful, if not just supportive, responses :)
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The company I work for gives me $1500 ($750 per semester) as long as I keep a 2.5 and average over 20 hours per week. There maybe some other companies in the area that would do this for you, as well. It doesn't seem like that much money in the grand scheme of things, but believe me, every bit helps.