College walkout protest.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    -- slight political reference, but topic is commenting on students attitudes --

Hmm, I found out that theres a peace march in our town tomorow (concerning Iraq) which starts at about 11AM. Many students are telling every other student to leave college and do the march, and are even putting up posters saying 'How can you study when Iraq's getting bombed?'.

I asked one fly-postering buffoon why they were doing it, he replied 'to stir things up. It's a free day off college innit?' :meh:

I then asked if he even knew where Iraq was at which point he pretended to not hear the question and walk off.

Delete message if its too political, but I thought I'd share that...
  2. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Protest = Masturbation
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    How could they study while Iraq has been stockpiling WMD for use against his citizens, others in the region, and likely civilians in western countries?

Then again, what about bombing Serbian populations when Milosevic posed no threat to other coutnries...(rhetorical)?

What about the slaughter of innocent Somalis in support of capturing Aidid?

I would question why the selective outrage.
  4. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Whoah, it gets worse. check out this 'E-mail' I got from one of the moron orgnaisers.
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm guessing that most people have heard this by now, but i thought i'd remind you anyway.

Most people in this country oppose Bush and Blair's recent desire for war.
    And we feel that we must oppose this militaristic attitude in whatever way we can.

This Wednesday (5th March) We are leaving college at 9:00 and going to the town centre
    And there we will meet people from other colleges and secondary schools, as well as members of the 'Stop the War Coalition'.

There is a lot of support in college for this protest, with many people saying: "I'll go if lots of other people are going" If you are one of these people, then come along to the canteen on Wednesday morning and see how many people there are !

We are gathering in the canteen just before 9:00 on Wednesday morning, so that we can all leave together.

Teachers: Please would you excuse from your lessons, any students who are supporting this event.
    And any teachers who wish to attend are most welcome.

Thankyou for reading, and I hope to see you all there.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't start this again, John - we've had enough.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The fact that quote is just BARELY structured in the form of coherent sentence will undoubtedly garner a less than enthusiastic response from the teachers. If you're going to be so bold as to "ask the teachers" if you can go to a protest, you might as well do it right. Wusses.
  7. I would do this too; are they doing it because it's cool? Because it's a day off college? Or because they actually believe in what they are doing?
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    First of all, I didn't start it...

Secondly, it came up in the context of how yoshi dealt with the protesters and upcoming college walkouts...I am sharing how I would (and have) confront that issue.

I'm not going to apologies if you don't agree with my position, but you're not going to get me to choose a Fender over a Pedulla either.

So maybe you should try to be tolerant of others' opinions. :meh:
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ding ding ding we have a winner !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.