Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jan 9, 2004.

1. I start college next fall and I'm really, really, unprepared.

I've figured I'll just go to my neighborhood community college for my first year to get some of the core, easily transferable classes out of the way. Then maybe head to University of Texas, University of North Texas, or some other big school in my state.

I'm still not sure what to major in. Right now I'm thinking a degree in the business sector, but since it seems like every slacker in college seems to have that degree, I figure its MBA or nothin if I take that road. And a masters program seems icky.

I'm lucky and grateful that my parents are paying for 4 years of college. Anything more is my own problem. They wont however pay for any living costs should I choose to move away for college. But my mom tells me one of her biggest regrets was never moving away for college because it didnt allow her to do a whole lot. So of course I feel the need to go away for a few years. Start over life etc. etc. I also dont know where I'd go to...Dallas, Austin, College Station, etc.

My grades aren't good enough for a scholarship...because I missed so much my junior year (surgery etc) that totally killed my GPA (try taking tests knowing 0 material), and me falling asleep during the SAT didnt help.

I guess I'm just grumbling about my uncertain future and I'm sure we all go through this and we all eventually find our just kinda sucks not knowing.

Am i alone in this? Any words on the subject or your own personal experiences from college are welcome.
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Talk to an adviser with the school you plan on attending, they will be your biggest help. Find one that is actually willing to talk (I'd say most advisers are), but there are the occasional bad apples here and there.
  3. College is fun!! More people, more maturity (supposedley) and more fun!! The teachers can be idiots some times, but as long as you are able to get along with everyone, you will have a great time. I am, it's a blast!!

Oh, and the idea about taking the transferable credits at the community college is a great one. I'm currently taking 3 semesters of credits, then going to Portland State. It's a great way to save money.

Rock on
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Well, firstly... you should have a little faith in your ability. Like you said, you were out of school most of your junior year, hence a not-so-great gpa. If you want to go to a comm. college, that's fine, but why bother do that when you can do the core calsses as part as a 4 year program?

Don't be thinking about a major yet unless you're going to be a lawyer or a doctor. You have plenty of time to sample the different programs college has to offer.

My parents also pay for school, and thats it. I make money during the summer and winter breaks working a job that hires me during these times... try looking for one in your area, you'd be surprised how many places like/want/need short term help.

By the way, you're not alone in this... not by a longshot. I'm in my third year, and I still have no idea what I'm going to be doing when I graduate (in a year and a half!). But, school's no sweat once you get the hang of how things work (IOW, don't go out to bars every night of the week just because your parents arent there to tell you not to, sleep through classes, etc). Don't worry, college kicks ass and has a lot to offer. You just need to be confident of your abilities and you'll have no problems.

EDIT: 3 replies in less than 10 minutes of posting at 1am EST. Damn. :D
  5. thanks for the help guys, I'll keep that stuff in mind. Like you said sock I have plenty of time to pick a major, I'm just checking my opitions now.

Tuition costs aren't a huge concern, since I'm a part of an organization that will pay 60 hours tuition to any public school in the state of texas (hence why I'm staying in tx). Well, they've been putting money into the fund ever since I was a kid, so its not exactly a scholarship.

and also, I'm still only 17, so it feels a little bit overwhelming.

I guess I have nothing to worry about...i'd just like an advantage on things :)
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Do the community college core program. But make sure they transfer! The advantage of doing the cores at a community college is a much lower cost. If there is one in your town, you can really save on living costs. Don't be too much in a rush to move out. It's tough. But the community college track is a good way to get the ball rolling. That way, if you're not sure what to do, then you aren't throwing so much money into it! That's what I am doing!
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Is it too late to go for UT where you want to go?

Go for the reach school as well, don't limit yourself!

Dang, I wish you posted this in September!

Since you had those issues, they should be part of your college app.

Also, you can do anything you set your mind to.
    College is mental. Some people will make the effort, many won't. If you want it bad enough, and work for it, it will end up working out for you.

Education is about learning how to think.
    Not such a bad thing IMHO.

8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm a few years older but I plan on attending college next fall. I went to a crap computer school with a lousy reputation after highschool. (didn't even earn a degree, I instead earned a "diploma". One of those "mistakes in life you learn from" I guess) I finally found a job in IT, and then lost my job due to shrinking business. I then realized that staying in the IT business was going to be a real struggle because I didn't get enough experience to overshadow my crappy education. I wasn't passionate enough about computers to try and make it in the business and I knew I would have to return to school. (besides, if I stayed unemployed in the IT business, I would have to get reeducated anyways because of the way the technology changes)

I'm planning on going to Lock Haven Univerisity. I'll be starting at the Clearfield campus and then transferring to the main campus after I take my core classes. I'm taking a visit to main campus on Tuesday. I am a little worried on whether I'll get accepted or not though. I was a good student in high school, but I was a business student, not an academic one. (I actually won prestigous awards in my school's business department) Luckily, LH doesn't require a foreign language in HS to get accepted. (though I think they do require you to take a language to recieve a BA) It still worries me though. I guess I'm just cynical about good things happening to me. From what I understand though, I'm kind of considered a transfer student, even though my previous college isn't accredited. So hopefully that will help me get accepted.

I've thought about going the community college route. The only problem is, the closest community college I know of is in Johnstown, which is about 2 hours away. I would be willing to move though. I was wondering, if you begin in a community college, can you still be eligible for graduate study scholarships like Rhodes, Mellons, Marhsals, ect.?
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I start berklee in 4 days....I'm not prepared at all.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The difference between college and high school... the lies they tell you in HS.

They said it's 2-3 hours of homework for every hour spent in class. They swear up and down how different it is.

Remember that, and you'll be fine.
  11. good luck dude, im sure you'll do fine.

and JR, dont be so worried about it. i too am a senior that will be going to college in about 8 months and i used to be kinda hesitant/worried about it like you, but then i realized how much i can't wait to go and how much fun it will be. unlike high school, where 90% of the classes are BS, college is a place you can actually learn the stuff you want to learn (of course, you have to get the general education classes outta the way first, no biggie) not to mention a place full of all kinds of opprotunities. dont sweat it, you'll be fine and i bet youll love it, i know i can't wait! :)
  12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    As someone who will be starting their 2nd semester of college in about 10 days, I'll say this. I would advise against the Community College route if you can afford to and have the grades to go AWAY to a four year. At school, I'm a six hour drive from home and I've never been happier (can't WAIT to get back). My best friend, however, is commuting to San Jose St. from his parents' place and while he wont outright admit it, I can tell he's hating life when everyone's gone to school.

Just my 2% of a dollar.

13. Sheesh, you go school early for massachusetts. I don't start back at my school (umass amherst) till the 27th. But i think in your case thats better because you get out in like the first week in may and i'm out in mid may. oh well.
  14. Or maybe you start late. I stared (past tense there) on Monday. Course, due to the snow, I haven't been to class since. I have three classes that I am supposed to have been to at least twice, and haven't seen them yet!! Maybe they will push back the semester a bit.

Rock on
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, orientation starts next week for me.

school starts on the 20th.

16. thats why I want to only spend a year here and figure things out. Everyone who goes to this community college (about half the kids stay in town) say its practically 13th grade, which is lame. Not to say its a bad college...years ago Bill Clinton came here and said how l33t he thought the school was.

I still don't see how my sister is willingly living at home and going to college. She said she prefers going to a nearby college and staying home. She's 21 and who knows when she'll move out. I want to leave and experience life on my own.

Also, I'm staying at home for a year so I can do good and get a nice college GPA, instead of having to rely on a good higschool GPA and a good SAT score (which i have neither).
  17. Live at home for a while. It costs a HELL of a lot less. Get a job that pays well, and save like crazy!! Invest, if you can. Make a lot of money for yourself before you move out. I'm sitting on a very nice little sum, thanks to only haveing to pay a car insurance bill. Living on your own is something that you kinda need to slide into. Meaning first off tell your parents that you are going to chip in for food. Then tell them you will pay a small rent ($100 a month or something) then say you will help pay bills. That way, whe you do move out, it's not as big a shock. Trust me, myfriend Nathan did it this way, and he's so at home now with his life it's like he's been on his own for decades.

Rock on
  18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Two of my friends, a drummer and guitarist go to Berklee. They're very nice, if a little pretentious. Apparently it's one big beer party there. Girls are few and far between(mostly singers), but the ones that are there are smoking. I'm sure you already knew that, if you're going there.

I remember before heading to orientation and being kind of anxious about my future as well. Once you get there though, a huge horizon opens up before you and you see all the incredible things you can do in life. You're exposed to a huge array of interesting people and you're on your own so there's a good deal more responsibility, but you don't notice it right away.

At a certain point you just have to throw caution to the wind and dive in. And you end up having a ball.

Good luck, Jr.
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Going between community college and high school i've picked up on a couple other differences.

The community college has ashtrays.

You can call a lot of your profs by their first name.

The profs curse a lot more.
  20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Dude---quick question. You say they will pay tuition to any *public* school in Texas. Does that mean "state-run, stateowned" school?

My opinion? Go to the community college for a year, then GET OUT!!! College life is the best. I can tell you that you will regret it just like your mom regretted not moving out for college.

Also, be aware that most schools will accept the transfer credits from the community college, but most will NOT count those credits towards your GPA. Some colleges will, however, give you a small scholarship for having a good transfer GPA.