1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

college

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by negative57, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Ok, well im a sophmore in high school, college is coming up, i know i wanna go for music, im not sure whata spect of it though, i would love to go for music technology and audio recording, is this a good idea, also thinking abotu music business and possibly music ed. i am not quite sure abotut he auditions tough, i play bass, and alil guitar and keyboard, than i also play trumpet and french horn. i would like to audition for bass, btu i cant afford a double, can i audition on electric, anyone have any recomendations for schools to look at, right now i have a 3.8 gpa if that matters at all. any other question that could help u help me are appreciated, and im sorry if this is in the wrong topic, thanks....

2. The musical instrument auditions at a lot of schools are very intense, and they usually have a large group of people auditioning for a very small number of slots. But...I do think they would accept a performance on bass.

As for audio recording and production, I hear UMass Lowell has a great school for that sorta thing, (if you're on the east coast)

3. You could try Berklee college of music in Boston. I know it's really kind of expensive (around $30,000 a year) but they have about every aspect of music training avialable. Also If you get into a bass performance major you can play just the electric bass if you wish. To get in you just have to apply like a normal college, get in, and then you audition on the first day of classes for the level of classes you should be put in. I was going to go but the financial aid department didn't work in my favor.

You could also look at Umass Amherst for a performance or music ed major, awesome music program but they require bass performance majors to have a double bass.

Good luck:)