1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colleges in Houston, TX

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mr_Sore_Fingerz, Sep 5, 2008.

1. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, but my question is related to instruction...

I've played bass for a few years (2 almost 3) and know my way around fairly well. I've played with different bands and can hold my own in a full-band environment. I will study music theory at community college in my area, but they offer no classes concerning application in bass guitar. I'd like a college or university where I can study music AND have an opportunity to participate in a class where they cover the application thereof to my instrument.

Are there any colleges that you would recommend studying at? I've searched through a few, but I would like to know the opinions of someone who has GONE there or knows someone who has.

Opinions, thoughts and concerns warmly welcomed :)

2. Brian Reading

Brian Reading

Nov 20, 2007
    Houston
    Bass guitar is still a very outcasted instrument in formal music education. You'll find that the double bass is what is covered more in depth. Most schools that allow applied music majors to concentrate in bass guitar will require the student study double bass as well.

As a hardcore Cougar, I'd have to recommend the University of Houston's Moores School of Music for this sort of program.

3. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I hear Rice University is a great place for double bassist. (mainly legit. classical)