Colleges Lacking Bass Players

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by ClassicalDB, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    Anybody out there on TB have a tip of any colleges that are lacking bass players in their overall performance major and in their orchestra?
  2. Home Bass

Home Bass

May 11, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I know that TCU (Texas Christian University) in Fort Worth, Texas has a need for double bass majors. The school of music has come a long way in the last ten years and they finally hired a quality Double Bass professor - Paul Unger, who is the Assistant Principal of the Fort Worth Symphony and an outstanding jazz player, as well. I think he has even written a few film scores. I know Paul, he is a great guy and wonderful teacher. He told me recently that TCU is very commited to recruiting double bass performance majors (that means they have scholarship money available). TCU is definitely worth checking out. Good luck.
  3. Montclair State in NJ has nine Double Bass Players right now. I am one of them. We've got a bass ensemble too.
  4. New Jersey City University in Jersey City, NJ is really lacking in classical majors. They don't do much to recruit in the classical dept. They jazz dept. does a lot to get people. I studied classical there w/ a great teacher, he plays with the MET Opera and the school is about a 10min drive to NYC.
  5. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    i just sent you two jersey guys e mails with some questions.... hopefully you'll get the mail...
  6. Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    TCU would be a good place to go, I think.

My first teacher got his Master's Degree there. Although said teacher is a horrible person and bad teacher...he wasn't that bad of a player and was really trying to get me to go there because he knew I needed money.

I hope everything is going well for you.
  7. Way late in the game, but the University of South Florida (Tampa) is in need.
  8. moschizzle

Mar 21, 2006
    Duquesne is very short on string bass players at the moment. As a matter of fact, I am one of two undergraduate bass players in the orchestra. The rest are grad students. Duquesne has 2 amazing bass professors in Jeffrey Turner and Jeffrey Mangone.

Check it out.
  9. DePaul is running short from what I hear too. They have to hire 3 recent alum bass players to have the neccesary numbers in the orchestra. Which is a shame because they have Rob Kassinger as the Bass Proff, and he's awesome.
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000

That surprises me a lot. I'm going to another Chicago school [Roosevelt] and look at DePaul as being friggin awesome namely because of Rob Kassinger. I thought people would be lining up to go there.
  11. jasonheath

jasonheath Bass Blogger / Contrabass Conversations host

Aug 11, 2006
    Chicago IL
    DePaul is an excellent choice for study in Chicago. They hire extra players not because they need to, but to get a really solid 8 players in the section. The section for the symphony orchestra is extremely good--one of the bast college orchestra sections I've seen. Rob Kassinger is going great things over there, and if you can land a Civic Orchestra fellowship then it's free if you are doing your Masters.

I'm putting out an interview with Rob this weekend on the podcast, so if you want to hear him play and hear more about DePaul, check it out through the links below.
  12. Kjetil Laukholm

Kjetil Laukholm

May 27, 2007
    Audition for Stockholm. You can study with Håkan Ehren principal of the Royal Phil in stockholm. He was formely principal (first solo) in London Symphony, Concertgebouw and Gothenburg symphony. Wonderful guy and in my book amongst the handful best players in the EU. The sad thing is they have something like 2 players studying there as there are no applicants here in sweden. No tuition and a great city.