1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Color ideas for my new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 8, 2019.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have sent in a spec sheet to the fine folks at Alien for a new Constellation bass. Chopper actually called me to shore up some details. What a great guy he seems to be! I'm likely going to pull the trigger in January.

Anyway.... I specced it out in black. But I have decided I want to do something fun and different. He has someone else in Nashville do the finishes so I'm guessing the sky is the limit so to speak.

They have done some cool finishes, all the way to outlandish. Here are some examples.
    image-asset.jpeg.jpg AlienAudio-2.jpg images.jpeg.jpg

I don't want a burst. I'm fine with a swirl or solid color. But I want it to be..... different. Not stupid. But different. Maybe a Marty Bell style metal flake? Maybe flourescent lime green?

Throw some stuff at me. What would be "cool" different but not stupid different? Have fun. No rules. Bonus points for Photoshop pics. :D

jd56hawk, Frank77, rollie 55 and 7 others like this.
  2. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Since this is about looks...
    How would you typically dress for stage wear...color palette and style?

Types/styles of bands played with?

Will it be used as a fashion piece, i.e. part of an ensemble look?

Graffiti yellow, trans orange, indigo, blue/purple/green flip flop?
    Faces? Characters?
    It looks vaguely Les Paul-ish...gold top?...or...something more...unusual?

jamestyler-studioelitehd-19091-d__wwg.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Spectrum, slapshot, TonyP- and 5 others like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I love this Marty Bell finish done for @JIO

fullsizeoutput_555.jpeg

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Go for it , get some color. Black is boring.
    Every car I see is black with black wheels my old bass is black.
    I'm a sucker for natural wood finishes but I like
    Claptons graphic colored Strat.

Bassdirty and two fingers like this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I generally wear some sort of jeans and some sort of boots.... from black biker boots to more traditional light brown leather cowboy boots. Shirts vary quite a bit from tame to flashy. Hair is long. I'm sure I could "dress to match" my bass.

wraub likes this.
  7. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

wraub likes this.
  8. jamro217

You don't have to break the bank to come up with some cool finishes. I bought four bottles of nail polish and swirled them on. Came out looking like a metal flake body. Another cheap way to do a killer guard is to get clear Plexiglas or Lexan and paint the bottom side. Put any shielding on afterward. When mounted the shiny side is what you see.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. I'm getting a factory finish done on my new bass. I'm looking for ideas for THEM to paint my bass. :D It will be new. So I will let the pros handle it. :cool:

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I know you said you didn't want a burst, but after looking at #3, I'm thinking sparkle burst - black along the edge, fading to a red sparkle, fading to a gold sparkle in the center.

You're welcome.

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Since you're starting from scratch and you're in a working band, I also agree with thinking about matching this to your band's image. Lighter colours stand out more on stage, whereas the darker colours tend to disappear more under changing lights. Especially when you're dressed in darker colours on stage.

Since you didn't loathe the swirl effect, maybe think about swirl with just the three exact colours of Old Glory? I'm Canadian, so definitely not a stars and stripes fanboy, but they can be very striking and you guys are definitely American. :D

Aside from that, I'd be thinking about what you want the stage presence to be and go for that. If you want it to pop, or to disappear and allow the player to be the focus. Into the light, or over to the dark side... :smug:

Spidey2112, wraub and two fingers like this.
  12. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Your favorite color in metallic flake with ghost flames. Hot rod that bass.

13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    That sounds really exciting! I we tinkling about this recently and if going for a solid color, I might pick something like musicman's charcoal sparkle but a little darker. I have a big fat Chrysler done up similarly and absolutely love it.

rollie 55 and two fingers like this.
  14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    graphic it in bacon. everybody loves bacon.

15. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Okay, thanks.

One more-
    is this meant to be a "showman" statement :) , a workmanlike" statement, or, other... Is there an overall band look or theme you'd like to accentuate or contrast against?

two fingers likes this.
  16. jamro217

Oh, in that case you must decide how the new instrument will be used. Studio use is different than stage use, and personal use has no rules. If it's to be used in a metal band neon pink probably isn't a good choice. Why not try personalizing your bass? Decoupage family pictures and cover it with clearcoat. If it ever gets stolen the thief will have to refinish it immediately to avoid getting caught. Plus you have an heirloom. Just a thought.

dmt, Spidey2112 and two fingers like this.
  17. Something appropriate to the builder . . .

Aliens.jpg

Wisebass, TonyP-, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  18. Or you could do something appropriate to the model of the bass . . .

photo-1543816228-531a15980981?ixlib=rb-1.2.jpg

19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah something kinda showy would he cool. I'm currently in a cover band that does a little bit of everything mainstream. No metal or hardcore rap.

wraub likes this.
  20. that reminds me of this guitar from Kauer