1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

color inconsistencies after wash coat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ljzimmer, May 6, 2010.

1. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    It's been a while since I posted anything about my build. I'm finally ready to start the finish process and sprayed three wash coats (possibly too soon) last night. I've been trying to follow LedBelli's finish tutorial found here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503689&page=6&highlight=

When I applied the zpoxy on the top, the zpoxy ran down the sides and caused some color differences in the lighter core (made of basswood). Even after applying a coat to the bass wood I could still see where the Zpoxy originally ran. My assumption was that as I continued down the finish process the wash coat and lacquer would even out all of the color inconsistencies. After 3 coats of McFadden's Vinyl Sealer/Washcoat 30 minutes apart I can still see the runs. Do I need to sand back down to the basswood to get rid of the runs, or will the lacquer even out the color differences?:help:

Thanks,

Loren

2. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Hey Loren bring that bass to me when it is finished..I would like to take it for a test drive!

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Do you have pics?

It is possible that they will age evenly, or it is possible that the finish dried too early and will not even out.

4. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    I'll let you know when it's done...can I trade you test drive of my bass for a ride on your boat???

Let me know what you think:

[​IMG]

These seem a little blotchy too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think I can continue or should I sand it back down?

Thanks

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Sand it back down. I have a project that I made in high school that has a spot similar to what you have and 17 years later it's still visible and bugging the hell out of me.

You will not be happy with this unless you sand it back. Chalk it up to experience; the thing you don't get until just after you need it.

6. Sardine

Sardine

Feb 2, 2009
    Maine
    Sand it down. It looks like you applied way too much epoxy. You need to do super thin coats, and scrape off all of the excess with a piece of plastic like a credit card. And when I say thin, I mean thin. Use just enough to wet the wood. When I finished my most recent acoustic (very large surface area), I probably used less than a teaspoon of epoxy in two coats. Epoxy build really fast, just two extremely thin coats should easily fill and seal the wood.

7. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    I've got a bunch of lacquer sprayed. The finish will be far from perfect but for my first bass I'm pretty pleased.

What are the signs that I have enough lacquer sprayed?

Thanks again everyone!

Loren

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    you can wetsand through to 2000 grit without hitting wood. That's about it, we can't judge your spraying technique, or the coat thickness. 8-12 coats is usually sufficient, 16 if you spray thin.