1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

color of rosewood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by neslofalo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. neslofalo

neslofalo

Mar 3, 2008
    i´m wondering if the color of the rosewood has anything to do with the hardness and therefore also sound?seems like on the earlier fender basses they used darker colored rosewood,and later they used lighter.

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I believe a lot of rosewood is also dyed to look darker. Trends now are more in preference of showing more grain and fancier woods to make bass players swoon, so likely less need to darken the stuff up.

Just my thoughts.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There are many woods called rosewood.

Early Fender basses used Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra). But you can't get that any more. Now they use Indian rosewood, and sometimes Pau Ferro, sometimes known as Bolivian rosewood.

Brazilian was more reddish brown color, while Indian is more purple looking.

Pau Ferro has a slightly lighter color, and is the lighter rosewood you see on some Fenders, like the SRV signature strat.

Also old guitars have darker fingerboards because the wood has oxidized and darkened, as well as being dirty.

4. neslofalo

neslofalo

Mar 3, 2008
    thank you-would you also happen to know what,if any,the difference would be with slab boards?