1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

color suggestions for iceman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 14, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I have an iceman, originally sunburst, gold hardware
    Right now its flat antique white. I'm trying to decide whether to decorate the flat white or repaint altogether.
    anyone have any suggestions, or have any pics of custom iceman basses?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You could go all Paul Stanley and do a broken mirror thing. I'd probably get a gloss white with faux black binding. But switch out to black hardware.

3. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I wish I could find pics of more pics of custom iceman basses, I can find loads of mirrored, black, and sunburst, found a few pics of green with stars, ummm, no
    the gloss white with black hardware sounds nice.
    I actually tried the mirror, found some plastic mirror pieces, cut them and glued each piece on to make it look like a broken mirror. Then when I went to put the top coat on (envirotex if I remember right), the glue I used softened up and the mirrored pieces lifted . So I stripped it down and sprayed it with the only color I had at the time, which was the flat white.
    I never put it back together because I just wasn't feeling it.
    I was just looking through the closet and noticed it in there, now I've got the "itch" again to mess with it.

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I think the coolest color for an iceman is white, really.

5. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I like the idea of the gloss white with the faux black binding, I'll have to black in the binding on the neck and head, but it will be ok, I like the idea of the black hardware too, maybe even a black pickguard

6. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    ok, wet sanded the body, cleaned it, got ready to spray it and.......I have no white :\ I thought I had some.
    so, I have this problem with patience, more accurately, the absolute lack of it. I am FLAT broke and won't have ANY money for at least a month, so I had to do something with what I had. The only decent quality gloss I had was black and this....
    IMAG0374.

7. something loud. fiesta red, tv yellow. draw as much attention to it as possible.

8. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    oh my god, this is too crazy, I found some pinstripe tape in my junk drawer. One of those things you got in a box with something else at a garage sale kinda thing and tossed it in the drawer because why would you ever want cream colored pinstripe tape. It's super skinny, but its a perfect match for the binding on the neck.
    what are the odds
    IMAG0384.

9. Looks nice so far. I think that will go well with the gold harware.
    Keep us posted

10. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I wonder how it would look with a cream colored pickguard

11. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That looks awesome!

That's funny you didn't like the green with stars.... I think of that guitar everytime I see the word Iceman :D

12. Personally, with that color and gold hardware, I would go with a black one.

13. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    I was going to suggest green to go with the gold but you beat me to it. In the future if you need low cost options spray cans with clear over the top works. Some of the small local body shops can also be of assistance to paint with "scrap paint" some of their left over paint. If you really have a set of balls and no fear some of the shops do have frustrated artists working there. If given free reign and free beer after look out you can get some wild paint work done. If you think I have my head up a$$ on this BEEN THERE DONE THAT wound up with spending $1000 for custom paint on an entire boat that was 16 colors. It looked like it was fresh off the race circuit and was noticed everywhere, I backed up traffic on the freeway as folks would slow down just to look at it. They also did 6-8 guitars for friends back then as well for $25 and a case of beer after hours.