1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Color tastes different in US ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by makkE, Jan 8, 2012.

1. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    I am talking about those often pastellish custom colors that seem to be very popular on this board - see foam green, surf green, fiesta red, weird shades of turquoise and others..
    They remind me of 50's cadillacs mostly.

I started to wonder if the color taste in the US is somewhat different from europe/the rest of the world. I notice in stores that these kinds of colors usually settle dust areound here. Just yesterday saw a roadworn in a weird pig-like pastell color that apparently noone wanted... or is it more of a vintage/age thing?

2. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I think those colors are nostalgic here in the states because they were popular at the time when Rock and Roll was "born". I personally like those colors, probably for the same reasons others do, but I like other solid colors as well as transparent colors and fancy wood tops.

OOD likes this.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Perhaps the culture of a country does have an influence on color tastes. What colors are popular in France and Europe?

As an American, I like Surf Music and seafoam green, surf green are really cool colors and yes, those and some of the other colors that you mentioned were the colors of American automobles from the 1960s.

The fiesta red was a color only available to England by Fender Music back in the early 60s. (The Shadows)

All in all, I don't really think that the colors that you mentioned are popular here in America. Perhaps they used to be back in the past.

Black with a white pickguard is very WONDERFUL! Elegant, classy, formal! But, color is a matter of opinion, isn't it?

4. I agree, they are popular in the US. I personally, don't like them. I prefer natural finish or darker colors.

Most Americans have a passion for classic cars. I believe the love affair with the pastel colors may be rooted in that to some degree.

5. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I have seen their popularity some here on the boards but those pastel colors you mention don't seem to make it on many of the current Fender line up. There is the exception of the Mark Hoppus bass (surf green, sonic blue, and shell pink) the roadworn series (Fiesta Red) and the Pino Pallodino signature bass (Fiesta Red). A few years back we saw some of the old 60's custom colors show up in the AVRI series basses but, for a long time Fender has only been putting out sunburst, natural, black, Olympic white, and the occasional Candy Apple Red or variations there of ie. chrome red or candy cola red. I can only assume that is because that's what sells the most or it may be that companies need a establish a product line of a few colors and anyone who really wants a custom color can pay a premium to have it.

It would be nice if Fender would throw us 60's custom color fans a bone and put out a vintage color in the American Standard series every once in a while. But then there are a few builders who exist because they don't. I can only imagine what a Seafoam Green precision with 62 RI pickups and a jazz width neck would do?

6. InLeoWeTrust

InLeoWeTrust

Nov 11, 2009
    Idaho
    The association you've made is right on the money - those colors date back to cars and basses/guitars (Fender, primarily) from the 50's and 60's because the colors were all sourced from DuPont's automotive paints, many of them originally available on GM cars.

Personally, I love them (well, most of them). For many of us there is such a strong association between the "founding basses" (P and J, of course) that those vintage colors and instruments just define "electric bass" and they will never go out of style.

7. I think for a long time those colors were really popular because of their rarity. In recent time the quality of the Vintage line from Mexico and the CV line of Squiers have put them in more hands then ever before at prices that anyone could afford. There are still many people who hate Fiesta Red or Sonic Blue(I'm not one of them), but if you want a vintage feel at a low price point there really isn't any other choice.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Not too sure about their popularity here being any different than in europe. I don't really see any surf green basses hanging in stores. In fact, I rarely see them at all. I know because I love that color, and the only way I got one on a bass I liked was by custom ordering it. Even on a MM, it's only available on the classic ones.

And if there is a difference in popularity, I say it's cuz people in Europe paint their houses those colors and get their fix for it in that. :)

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't really like them either, with the exception of seafoam green.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Yeah, dont see too many pastel coloured guitars here. Mainly black, sunburst, natural.

11. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Almost all of my basses are surf green or seafoam green. It's because I associate the color with the 50s and 60s. Seafoam is the closest color to the 50's - 60's turquoise or aqua color that was so popular at the time, not just in cars, but in everything, from washers and dryers to hand mixers. My house is decorated in all midcentury era pieces and all of the small kitchen appliances (and my refrigerator) are turquoise colored (pretty much seafoam green). I also have a surf green colored room, which is original to the 1957 house.

So I agree with some others here. These colors are nostalgic or retro and bring to mind that time period. I also would love a shell pink bass but have yet to purchase one. These colors are very hard to find and there is usually a extra price that you have to pay for these colors because of their scarcity.

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I like my surf green jazz the same as my CAR, my electric blue, my yellowed white, my black, and my sunburst.

13. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
  14. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    How do you know it's not refinished? If surf green was not offered in 96 it appears it would most likely be refinished. I have seen refinished bases in surf green this color.

15. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    I can't say it's not refinished for 100 percent sure. But it does defy logic. I have since become friends with the guy who sold it to me. He bought it in 98, played it for a couple of weeks and put it away. This bass is immaculate in condition in every way. The original owner would have had to purchase the bass, have an extremely professional refinish applied to the bass, then trade it in or outright sell shortly thereafter. I'm not sure what the point of that would have been. Anything is possible though. I was thinking that maybe this was a special run for a music store chain or something.

16. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    By the way sneha1965, the p-bass that is next to the Jazz is a AVRI bass as you mentioned.

17. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Do you know if your friend was the original owner? If so, it would be interesting to know where he purchased the bass. There are some members here that would know if surf green was offered in 98 on any of their models.

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
  19. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    He was not the original owner. It's has a Fender 50th anniversary sticker on the headstock. He bought it used in 98 at Triple R Guitars in Lemoyne PA exactly as it is now. He contacted Triple R just his past week and asked them for the original owners name, but they didn't feel like looking it up, so we don't know who the original owner was or where it was originally purchased. The original owner didn't own the bass for very long and it doesn't look like it was even played, it's that clean.

Going back to the original thread theme, I was lucky to find two Japanese reissues in Surf Green and Seafoam on eBay this past year and scored both for around 500 dollars. I admit I bought them for the colors, but then I understood what people were saying about the Japanese quality, especially the necks, and what a good bang for the buck they were. The first one had Seymour Duncans in it and was a wonderful punchy sounding bass that became my main bass. And I just got the seafoam green one outfitted with the same SP3s and new pots and such since I like it so much.

20. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    No gbassnorth, that is not the color. This exercise may be futile. No matter what lighting conditions I put the bass under, my camera picks it up as blue, but it's not blue, it's green. It's bizarre, because I can put any other bass next to it and get a good representation of the other basses color, but not this one. It's green. It's like you started with surf green, but added in just a slight bit of teal hue into it. Honestly, the color is not very attractive when compared to the surf green. Not ugly, but definitely not as attractive as a real surf green.