Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COLOR TOP BLACK BACK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 16, 2002.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have noticed with a lot of new G&L that they are coming out with black backs. Why are bass builders doing this

2. So they don't have to use nicely figured wood for the body back?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    if you ever look at a propane tank, you'll notice that there is a layer of phenolic paint on the bottom to keep the metal for corroding. submarine hulls have the same thing (except it's red on boats) to prevent barnacle buildup and moss growth (we call it a beard) that impedes hydrodynamic stability. why do they have black backs on basses? ya got me

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

when it comes to G&L why not just use one pice of swamp ash or alder

6. G&L, on some of their heavier instruments, switched from solid ash bodies to a 1/2" ash top on an American basswood back, to save weight. Basswood has no grain pattern, so it might as well be painted a solid color--and black highlights the ash top.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Joe Zon has been doing this for years. I've seen a couple of recent Brubakers with a black back and a black Maple neck. It wasn't done to hide lesser quality wood, it was strictly an esthetic decision.