Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Colorado Bass Builders/Luthiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jan 30, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    In looking through some of the profiles and seeing some of the user IDs since becoming a member, it appears that there's a strong Colorado presence in this forum. I was recently looking for someone to perform some general maintenance and modifications on a couple of my basses. I found what I think is s great place. It's called Tenorio Werx. The web site is not that impressive but the reputation is. It took me a while before I found someone that I was comfortable with. I started thinking, "I wonder who other Colorado players are using when they have to have some work done?"

Many of you probably do either most or all of your own repairs. To someone that's new to this or has run into something that's more than they can handle, it would be nice to know who you've had positive or negative experiences with. Tell me about it, please. :)

2. gyename2000

gyename2000

Sep 14, 2005
    I had a bass set up at Tenorio Werx and I feel as if all he did was change the strings. The bass felt :mad: about the way did from the store and that was a big disappointment seeing that he seems to be very knowlegdeable and talks to you at length about technical issues. I won't use him again for any of my basses.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Did you go with the full setup or just the basic one? The full setup, more expensive, is a lot more thorough. Were you very specific about what you wanted to accomplish and what things you disliked about the instrument's performance when you took it in? Did you play it before you left his shop? Did you try talking to him about it? I mean, here is a guy that is trying setup your instrument based on what you told him, your playing style, etc........ Not the easiest thing in the world to do but in my experiences with him, he was more than willing to make adjustments if the setup was not to your satisfaction.

Another thing to consider is the tolerances of your instrument. Some basses just won't accept extremely low action and some don't sound well when it's high. There are a lot of variables. The bottom line is that if you felt that the setup was unsatisfactory you should have expressed that to him. He has to actually learn what you want and there is no way to do that unless you give him the necessary feedback. That is, assuming that you did not do that.

Mark is a very knowledgeable person and I have never had any problems with any work that he has done for me. Now I haven't used him in a while as I have started to do my own setups with knowledge that I obtained mostly from him along with some of my own research. I do have a bass that needs a new nut. It's not something that I feel comfortable with doing at this time and I really want a good piece of bone which will have to be cut by hand. If I haven't acquired the needed skills to do it myself when it's time to get it installed, Mark will be my first choice.

4. gyename2000

gyename2000

Sep 14, 2005
    All this getting to know you and your style is cool and all but I had a guy back in Dallas that didn't know jack about me and he gave my Spector bass the most incredible setup. He took it from a mediocre bass to what felt like a really expensive custom without talking to me at all. I had that guy work on my other basses and got the same result everytime. I 've since moved and can't afford to send it all the way to Dallas but if I could I would.

It was a really big difference in what the guy in Texas did versus this guy. I notice how fast and smooth it felt and how and how much easier it was to play. I didn't get that from this guy. Maybe you had better luck than me. I could spend more time talking and describing what was missing but after a week of having my bass I would rather take it to some who could give me what I am looking for at a cheaper price and quicker turn around with little or no conversation, I have had it before and I can have it again.

I don't mind talking about my needs as a player and all that but if the end results don't match up then talk really is cheap! Maybe not cheap enough! I don't mind spending money when it is worth it but when I can get better for less then that's what I am going to do. You have your opinion and I have mine, let's leave it at that. :crying:

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Sounds like you just got lucky that the way the guy in Dallas sets up basses was more to your liking. I can run off a number of times that I have taken my basses to others prior to dealing with Tenorio Werx and even explaining in detail with some what I did not like about the current setup where it did not end up to my satisfaction. Some of those guys were willing to try to make adjustments and some were not. I took my instruments to Tenorio Werx and he did a great job for me. Other people that had the chance to play my basses after he set them up seemed to think so as well.

So you liked the way the person in Dallas setup your basses. Cool! The fact that he did so without much information from you does not make him a better than Mark. Nor does the fact that he did not try to get to know your needs make him worse. Everyone is different. You can't expect T Werx to be like the person that you dealt with in Dallas any more than you expect him to be like T Werx.

The fact still remains that you paid money for something that you were not satisfied with. Futhermore, you didn't even take the time to let the person know what you were unhappy about. I'll ask again. Did you even play the bass before you left the shop? He has always offered me that opportunity and if I had a problem with anything he addressed it on the spot. I can only think of maybe twice (minor issues) that that has happened and he has done at least 10 or so setups for me with excellent results. Did you call him back after playing it at home after realizing that it you didn't like the way that it felt/played? If not, why did you choose not to? :confused:

The turn around time and prices with Mark are real obstacles. He's extremely busy and he's not cheap that's for sure! I wonder why that's the case if he's such a poor option based on your implications? I would think that the opposite would be true. :meh:

I'm just saying Man, if you don't like the way he does a setup for you, you're not obligated to use him. It just doesn't make sense to me that you never gave the man an opportunity to make it right with you but you are willing to bash him. That's on you. Who knows, he may have exceeded your expectations. Lastly, I took notice to the following statement.........

Sounds as if you still haven't found what you're looking for. Good luck with that. That's my opinion and it's left at that! :crying:

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I absolutely SWEAR by Matt at Woodsong's in Boulder. He has done a boatload of work for me - almost everything imaginable, repair, setup, electronics-wise. The guy knows his stuff and he is as honest as they get.

Matt is a great guy who knows exactly what I like and his rates are very reasonable.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks PB! That's nice to know. Isn't Woodsong's primarily an acoustic instrument builder?

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    BTW, this thread was originally started back in January of 2002. My original post may still be helpful for some but my needs have changed since that time.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    They sell acoustic instruments, primarily, but they do a lot of work on electrics. A lot of local bands use them for all kinds of needs.