Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Colorado TBer's, where do you shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coop, May 16, 2003.

1. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Hi all,

I'm heading up to Denver next week for a short vacation.

Any advice on where to put my hands on some basses? I would like to check out Laklands, Conklins, Stingrays, G&Ls, etc....

Thanks a million!:bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As big as the area is, its very difficult to find a place that stocks more than the typical "Ibanez and fender" type stock. All tehe chain stores here stock mostly under $1k basses. The guitarcenter super-store just off of 1-25 and park meadows usually some cool high end stuff there that's been special ordered though. GuitarX is a nifty place that has a warrior gallery and some ashdown amps. For warwick and fender go to guitarcenter, and for spector and peavey go to prosound (iliff and quebec). You can look any of these places in teh phonebook of course. ;)

3. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Guitar X has a Glockenklang Soul Top head in stock. That would be cool to check out.

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    it's been a few years since i've been to denver, so i don't know if they're still in business, but you can check out first bass...

jdkh

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Nope. FirstBass has been gone for a long time now.

JD

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Too bad about First Bass. I liked that store. Even though I don't live in CO anymore (though I wish did), there's a couple of places that come to mind. Wildwood Music in Louisville is a neat place. Not much in terms of boutique basses, but they have good prices on Fender and get in some decent used basses once in a while. The other nice place is Drum City/Guitar World in Arvada. And there's always USPawn and EZPawn. I got my 78 BC Rich Mockingbird and a 4 head VCR from EZ Pawn for $400.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Mullet (Guitar) Center (either in Arvada or on Colorado Blvd in Denver) is probably your best bet, unfortunately. However, be forewarned - you won't always find the most knowledgeable staff. A buddy of mine recently told me about his visit to the one on Colorado Blvd during which he actually had to explain/describe what an XLR connection was to a staffer ("you know - it has three pins/holes?!?!?" - met by a blank, vapid stare.).

WHATEVER you do, do NOT(!) waste your time or gas money to go to the ultra-lame "Musician's Superstore" in Westminster. What an absolute joke of a store! Terrible selection, high prices, knowledgeless staff, etc. Sorry to be so harsh, but how that place has managed to stay in business is beyond me.

Denver is really lacking in quality music stores (especially of the non-chain variety). Hell, I remember growing up in Raleigh, NC and being able to go to more and better music stores!

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's my list of the best places near the Denver metro area:

Drum City - Guitarland
    Jason Kae

Guitars, Etc.
    Longmont, Colorado
    (303) 776-8388
    Todd Skaw

The following place doesn't have a lot of various bass lines yet but they do have Demeter, Bergantino, Ashdown, EBS, AccuGroove, Glockenklang & Genz Benz amplification in stock to plug those Warrior basses into. ;)

GuitarX
    Gary Rosen

Your best bet for finding a nice selection of basses and amps is with Rob at Spotlight Music in Fort Collins about an hour or so north of Denver. There's another cool little store up in the mountains but it would probably be even more difficult for you to get to unless you plan on spending some time up in the hills.

Starr's Guitars
    David Starr

Guitar Center, ProSound (Musician's Superstore), National Speaker & Sound, Rockley's Music and Sound Town are others to consider. I've got no love for either of them though! That's especially true for Sound Town. I have to agree with 5stringDNA. Denver gear choices are pretty boring for the most part. Hey DNA, I was at the Park Meadows Guitar Center about a week ago and there was nothing there exciting. :(

No Lakland dealers are in town. The only place that you might find a Conklin is at Guitar Center and if you do, it will most likely be an import. Guitar Center will have Stingrays but for them or any other Music Man instrument, I would go to Drum City - Guitarland. I've never been to Robb's Music in Boulder but someone else may have some info about them.

The only place that I have seen G&Ls on a fairly consistent basis is National Speaker & Sound but they didn't have any in stock the last time I was there. Finally, there is a local bass builder, Surine Basses, who makes quality stuff. Check out Scott Surine if you can. I hope this helps and good luck!

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Wildwood Music was primarily a Guitar only store the last time that I contacted them. The owner actually seemed to get a little perturbed about me calling to inquire about bass related gear. :confused: You can probably do better on Fender items at Drum City - Guitarland. I won't post it but Jason usually gives pretty stout discounts off the list price on new Fender gear. Also, even the pawn shops suck around here lately! :D

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    yes denver stinks for looking at top of the line bass stuff. go to guitar x! its a great store.

11. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I really appreciate you taking the time to post this for me. I'm tired of the same old Fender/Ibanez/Yamaha basses you see in EVERY music store here in Oklahoma (and I have to drive two hours for that!). Not that there is anything wrong with any of those brands, I would just like to try something different.

If I bring back something from my trip to the mountains, I'll post some pics here.

Thanks again!

12. Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for the nice things said about GuitarX. I'm trying very hard to create a special environment with very high quality gear for bass players. Be patient with me though, I'm just a lowly guitar player so I'm still in the learning stages! :)

Since this has me feeling all warm and fuzzy, I'll throw in a free set of bass strings with any purchase over $50 if you mention this thread.

Hey Planet Boulder, it DEFINITELY sounds like you haven't been to GuitarX yet! I know that my bass choices are limited (although we stock a whole wall full of Warriors!), but my amp and cabinet selection can't be faulted. Come down sometime and give us a shot!

Thanks again all!

Sincerely,
    Gary

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    GuitarX - my apologies and you are right about my not having visited your shop. I've actually been meaning to and I will do so hopefully soon.

I saw your website a while back and it is nice to know that we have a shop that carries some really nice stuff.

14. Sherman da bass

Sherman da bass

Nov 7, 2002
    I shop at GuitarX exclusivly because first and foremost the customer service rules,and garys got the coolest gear in town.

Heres a semi short list of cabs and amps(brands only).
    AccuGroove(killer cab)
    Ashdown
    Bergantino
    Demeter
    EBS
    Genz Benz
    Glockenklang
    the occasional used SWR
    Stewart audio

As for basses.
    Warrior (I Love mine)
    Depinto (soon)
    BEE ( i'm pretty sure this will be the case).
    Sorry if I missed anything Gary.

A way cool shop stop by and visit tell em Spalty sent ya.

Dave

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Warning! You might not want to mention Spalty McNalty El Whappo. He's got a bad rep around GuitarX. :D ;)

16. Sherman da bass

Sherman da bass

Nov 7, 2002
    Charles man you're cold ...
    Man you know that's nothin but a story. Gary will tell ya...Ha he'll probably add 10% to your total if ya said ya knew us both.. So take it easy PARTNER..;)

Later
    Dave.
    :bassist:

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You know that I love ya my man! ;) Now don't go getting me in trouble with Gary! :D

18. Check out this store!!!!

Warrior guitars on Brodway. It's down town. I think it's by a couple of music stores down there. High end stuff.

19. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Wow! I can't believe nobody gets up north that often. Spotlight Music in Fort Collins is the best store I've been to for bass selection (Huge!) and good gear as well (Modulus, Lakland, Musicman, Elrick, etc). Talk to Robb the owner that Chuck Moe sent ya' and he'll help you out. (He oughta, I think i've paid his lease payment a couple of times over...;) Now, I haven't been to Guitar X yet, but I want too, but I wouldn't waste time with anyting other than Spotlight or GuitarX. Wildwood on the other hand, don't even get me started....(clearing mind of bad thoughts)...just skip 'em for any bass gear..guitar snobs entirely.

Peace

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Chuck, I mentioned Spotlight Music! :D I also mentioned Wildwood. :mad: