Colored, coated strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Mar 21, 2003.

1. I'm having a hard time finding the new DR 'Extra' black coated strings. I've seen the Black Diamond coated strings and recently saw in BP magazine GHS is making RED coated strings by the name of Infinity.

Besides the Black Diamonds, I haven't found the others anywhere. I emailed DR and they pointed me to and a few others that don't list them. I'll be making some phone calls soon if I can't find 'em online.

Black coated DRs would look sweet on my new Thumb Bolt-on :D
  2. Fender and Labella make black nylon tapewounds.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I hadn't heard of the DR's. That sounds like what I'm looking for, no matter the color. Do you have any info? The website doesn't really say anything.
  4. I wrote DR and they told me to check out a bunch of online places that don't list them yet :mad:

My local shop is trying to get some for me though.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'd be curious to know the criteria used for selecting your amp. :D

Did you email Sandra at ??? She's great!
  6. I don't get it...:confused:

Which amp? :D
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry - The one that was selected on the basis of color instead of sound. ;) ;)
  8. Whatever dude...

The fact that DR is making a coated string is cool all by itself. ;)

My amp:
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I talked to DR. They're not making coated bass strings yet, just acoustic and electric guit*r. They said maybe fall NAMM. Unfortunately, the GHS Infinities don't come in six-string yet, nor do the Black Diamonds. As I mentioned, I'm not concerned about the color, but some coated stainless strings would be really cool.
  10. dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    My friend got several sets of the GHS Infinity strings for free at a jazz festival. I'm still not used to seeing red strings on my bass. How do they sound? Bright..... and.... uhmm.... bright. They keep that new string sound for weeks, even with constant play. He loves it, I don't. I saw somewhere that they have a list of $70. Yeah, thats a bit much for what they play like, in my opinion. I'd be happier with a set of Prisms. For free, they weren't bad.
  11. I finally got a set! They are bright but that's cool with me. I dig the way they look on the Warwick!

12. do you know what the coating might be
    plastic, goretex, or something like plating
    sounds groovy
    they did the black ones in the uk for the bison bass.:)
  13. It appears to be plating. They're nice on the fingers but not slippery like elixers.
  14. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i dont find my elixirs to be slippery.... :confused:
  15. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    He might have been referring to the original Elixir "Polywebs" which were oddly slick (for me, at least). Their new "Nanowebs" are much more comfortable like all the other coated strings that other manufacturers are now making.

16. That's most likely the case as I haven't tried elixers for quite a while.

I just got back from my first practice since putting the infinitys on and find these to be very comperable to DR Highbeams.
  17. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    wuts wiht the horns strap butto ntis long or wuts goin on? is it to prevent neck dive it loosk weird liek it wuld hurt
  18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've had the Infinity Steels on since early Febuary, and still love 'em. The red looks cool on my LPB P-bass, but I love the bright tone. It seems GHS will still continue to have my business :)
  19. The long upper horn extension is a "bass balancer". It makes the Thumb Bass very comfortable and it's much stronger than it looks.

So far it been pretty sweet!
  20. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    that looks like a nice idea if u like the bass. it doesnt look strong but ill take your word for it. who makes it ne way, where on net can i egt info