Colored strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lovebown, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Is there such a thing as colored strings?
    I'd really like some red or black strings to go with my bass!
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, you can get black strings. There are several varieties available: Fender makes black nylon flat tapewound and nylon filament roundwound, and Labella, Rotosound and others make black tapewounds. Lotsa people buy 'em 'cause they like the sound :D

The only red string I'm aware of right now is D'Addario XL Reds which don't seem to be listed on the D'Addario website, but I think you can get them from if I'm not mistaken. The outer wrap is copper, or copper-plated, or something like that. I've heard that they turn dark and do icky things to your fingers after a while, :eek: but I haven't tried them.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pyramid used to make neon color strings in the 80s, but soon stopped making them. From what I've heard they sounded like sh!t, what was to be expected IMO.
    Maybe Elixir's will be available with colored Gore-Tex coating in the future but I wouldn't buy them that's for sure, although they might even be way better than the Pyramids were...
    Or get a Lightwave system. Since it's an infra-red pickup system, you can use non-metal strings on that one.
  4. hey, if you had a bass with a piezo or Lightwave bridge you could fit Ashbory silicone strings - in red ,blue or black ! ...that's if you could get a long scale, forget it.

also, Rotosound did a black anodised roundwound string;

" Eventually the RS6006 Spacer set was developed to give the musician a string that resists sweat and thus give a longer playing life. These particular sets last up to three times as long as the standard set. The different colour silks were attributed to Jaco Pastorius for identification purposes- along with the black anodised finish."

it seems to have been discontinued though........
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I forgot - Maxima makes gold-plated strings, too. Kinda spendy, but they're supposed to be good.
  6. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    If anyone else is an old fart like me they might remember Ernie Ball made a coated bass string back in the 70's. These had a red plastic sort of coating. They were round wound under the coating. If you recall the name please post.