colored strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Worshiper, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    does anyone out there maek colored strings? I was just curious. I'm sorry if it has been covered already. I tried a search but I don;t really know what to search for. But I'm in teh process of making what I call my "blue bass." blue paint, blue leds and hopefully, blue strings. Thanks guys
  2. I'm not sure myself, though it's a wicked concept.

Hope you find something to help you.
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Look at DR strings I have a set of black ones that I just love.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    DR has advertised strings in "Peacock Blue", so you should be in luck. Those are the only blue strings I'm aware of, though both GHS and DR also have red strings available.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'd imagine they are just anodized to color them. I do recall buying some black strings back in the 80's. The color wore off, especially at the underside of the string where they are fretted, rather quickly.

6. I know the some of the newer ibanezs come with blue and silver swirl colored strings. I don't know what brand they were though.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    DR makes Red Black and Blue ones...

8. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
  9. Are these things anything like "CatGut" strings??
  10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  11. Speaking of colored strings (was about to post another thread when I saw this one already here). I found this pic of a Ritter bass with what looks like Blueish strings. Now I'm guessing those might be the DR's?

Sooo sexy. I must buy a set :D

Attached Files:

12. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    I'm not sure what strings are on that Ritter, but they look pretty hot. Here is a picture of what the DR Peacock Blues look like:

You'll have to excuse the missing truss rod cover, but I'm making some minor neck adjustments.
  13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    hrm. i presume they r Ritter Swordsteel strings. Those blue strings are kinda hott...Anyone have pictures of the red ones?
  14. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ's another of my basses fitted w/ the reds.

15. Are those the new Red Devils? Got mine a week ago, and they're awesome!
  16. I'm starting to think that the Ritter strings just look like that because of the lighting the picture was taken in. I know Ritter does some crazy cool photography of their basses. I looked at the Ritter Swordsteel strings on their website and the pictures there just look like any other strings. The Peacock blues strings are a little too blue for my tastes. I'd like them a little more subtle than that ;)

Thanks for the help though :bassist:
  17. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    Yes...they are the Red Devils.

18. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I love the look of these, but how do they SOUND?
    Thuddy, ringy?
    How's the tension?
    Do they feel smooth or coarse?

I haven't heard much about these strings except that they look great; just wanted to cut through the hype.

19. pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    These are the coated versions of DR's Hi-beams, which are stainless steel wrap on a round core. With the coating, they are smoother-feeling than the Hi-Beams. They are not stiff at all, but are slightly less flexible than the Hi-Beams. They are very bright sounding with great sustain. They are supposed to last much longer than the standard DR's (or any standard string), but I can't attest to that yet. I've had them on 3 of my basses for about 3 - 4 weeks, and so far they still sound great. Not quite as brilliant as when first put on, but pretty close.

20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ok those peacocks would just look awsome on my peacock blue spector! But yeah i want to see what some people review them as first! I kinda hate the thought of buying strings cause they match my bass! Not really like me. But i do play DRs! :eyebrow: