1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Colored strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stevenjdm, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Stevenjdm

Stevenjdm

Jul 16, 2011
    So im trying to get new strings and want to try out something new.I was laying eyes on some colored strings,how to do they play for those people that already have time with them? Pros and cons? Ive heard that they dont give you the same tone or clarity has the "normal" non color strings. Also where can i find them? Usually when i look for them they dont have a variety of color only have a couple of options.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Colored strings used to suck out loud, but lately they've gotten a lot better with coatings. They still feel coated, but the sound isn't nearly as muffled as it used to be, and the coating holds up better. I have no desire for hot pink neon strings personally, but they're not as bad as they used to be at least.

3. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    www.bassstringsonline.com

Check out the whole DR line of Neons, Dragon skins, black beauties, etc. I use the Black Beauties almost exclusively and love them. I don't think I lose anything sound-wise with them and love the sound I get out of them. Put a new set on about a month ago and they still sound almost brand new, and that's with playing just about every day.

4. I've tried Black Beauties and some Neons. I really liked the BBs at first, but now every set I have gotten the G string has been dead. The neons haven't dissapointed me yet. I got one set on my 5 string squier and They still sound good after months. Plus they look awesome under a black light.

5. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I have been a user of black beauties on several basses for the past several years and I also use a set of DR neon yellows on a bass of mine. I find them to feel slick and play fast. I also find them to have a slightly compressed tone to them. Try a set.......unless you are a stainless steel player....then you might not like them as much.....my 2 cents

6. Have the full set of DR neons on my bass they are great no plastic feel and and they are bright sounding like round wounds yeah I know no picture no strings

[​IMG]

7. Also wanted to say that the neons have super low tension.

8. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I love the DR Neons. Felt good and sounded good.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You could check out Aurora strings. They aren't cheap but come in a lot of colors. Don't know anything about how they feel or sound. Just remember seeing them at NAMM a few years ago. Www.stringsbyaurora.com if I remember right.

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive used Black Beauties for a long time. Big fan. I also have a set of the Neons and I didnt think the tension was very low at all. Id say its pretty close to medium.

11. I recently put the black beauties on my 75RI jazz (maple neck with black blocks) and it looks STUNNING!!! Sounds - STUNNING!!!

No plastic feel - sound just like regular high beams (which I use on everything).

I highly recommend the Black Beauties!