Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

colored thingies

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by neptoon, Sep 4, 2000.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :confused: who makes those strings with the different colored silk wrappings on the end...you know, the different color for each string...they sure are cute....I want some for my warwick....I wonder if they come in nickel......hmmmm, .40, .60, .75, .95.......:D

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    D'Addario (at least the Slowounds)
    These are good strings, but you should still decide by sound and not by looks...
    Matthias

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Theyre D'Addario Slow Wounds. They sound good but they dont have much longevity. I find them to last me only a week.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would completely disagree with the longevity thing - I have been using these for the last 2 - 3 years now and I find they last forever. After 6 months they're still sounding good to me and while I do tend to change them then, I often find that there was no real need. I gave a 6-string set that I had used for 6 months to a professional Jazz player and he liked them so much he used them on a recording he was doing for a CD! Previously, I had used lots of different makes - mostly Rotosound and Elites and had felt the need to change every few weeks!

By the way - all SlowWounds are Nickel strings.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - I love everything about the SlowWounds except for the coloured bindings. I think they look really tacky and if I could get a set that was just one colour, I would buy up large stocks of them. :rolleyes:

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I think that I am going to take YOUR word on this one, Bruce...and try a set on my six string. I'll just have to put up with the "rainbow" look. :)

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I've had no problem with durability of the slowounds, too.
    Great strings IMHO.
    Matthias

8. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey, I want glow in the dark wrappings. I think this would look soooo cool and I bet it would sound cool too.;)

Actually, I believe all D'Addario strings are color coded.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    aha! slowounds! I knew that!! just testing you guys' knowledge! heheh.....uhhhhhhh.........:rolleyes: thankies...

10. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The Snarling Dogs Billy Sheehan bass strings all have different colored ends. They're not the greatest strings in the world, but they offer some very different gauges and I think I only paid $13 for the set that had. The gauges I had were 43-65-80-110 and I know there are a whole range of options available in either nickel or stainless steel.

The biggest improvements I noticed were a more even string-to-string tension (because of the "non-standard" gauges) and a big e-string which is great for rock and doesn't get floppy when detuned. Find out more at http://www.snarlingdogs.com

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually Doug, i think the SlowWounds are the ONLY D'addario strings with windings. Most have colored balls ( :eek: ).

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I thought....that was what JT got after playing his double neck all night :D:D