colorfull squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suasa, Jan 4, 2004.

1. hey guys and gals
    okay i got a 1998/99 squire p-bass special and i am defretting it for sure. for fret filler i wanted to get some brightly colord nail polish like bright green blue and yello and orange, and mix it wiht some super glue or other hard plastic type thing if you could reccomend something that woudl be great. and then after that i am gonna take my pickguard off and sand the black finish off to see what the wood looks like if its decent wood and not some plywood i am gonna put either a dark transparent blue or a lighter transparent orange finish on it. i want a bright colorfull bass i just thought it would look cool and its a cheap bass anyway. anyone have any thoughts oppinions or suggestions on doing this?
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The nail polish would eat away the wood.
  3. really why would it do that like whats in the nail polish to make it eat the wood away because i have seen nail polish on wood and it didnt do anything to it. and also what else could i use to get the bright colors or should i just fill it in wiht wood?
  4. nail polish is enamel. It won't "eat" wood, but it may soak into the pores. I would say that you could maybe use epoxy to fill, but have no idea how it would react with the nail polish. Try to find some colored epoxy instead
  5. you could cut up a binder into strips and then put them on top of the glue. I remember reading it somewhere.
  6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Oh i thought it would

Well then be careful when picking out nail polish. I know for fact some nail polish eats a way wood.
  7. what if i mixed the nail polish wiht super glue as i said before and then covered it wiht a thin coat of super glue to make it sort of transparent you know but still the bright colors would it still soak into the pores if i mixed it and what does it matter if it soaks into the pores of the wood i dont know anything about these things so yah help would be appreciated.
  8. Take some superglue. Take some nail polish. Try to mix them together and see if they'll form a uniform mixture and then harden completely. Just give it a try. I doubt you'll have completely satisfactory results. Try looking for some colored epoxy. I know they make some for flooring options.
  9. okay thanks will do has anyone had any luck wiht the wood on squires cause from what i have heard its usually crap wood that looks something like plywood but. so what do you guys think of the idea over all do u thing it will look good or just be some crappy flashy bass.
  10. bump again opinions anyone.
  11. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    i'd say go for proteine colours, like nautrual fruit colours, however i have no experience with this. I bet you need quiet alot color to make it appear bright.
  12. might as well puke on it, itll be bout as good...

besides, you said "colorful" didnt you :smug:
  13. DEFELDUS do u really think it would look that bad?/ i thought it would look kool but the darker fruit colors or whatever would be kool kinda go a little better wiht the wood anyway thanks for the replys anyone else got opinions.
  14. god damnit i knew that was how it was spelt i just used to spell it squire and i got used to typing it i guess. oh well.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe its crazy how many people spell it wrong.
  16. well i havnt got many opinions on this and i would really like to know what people think of my idea. so please anyone else last time i will bring this up.
  17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Save your money and BUY a pretty bass. Or use your free time to practice, you'll get a lot more out of the bass that way.