1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colorsound Tonebender problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowpro, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I ordered a Colorsound Tonebender off of ebay from a reputable seller, and it came in today. But, i'm playing it, you can't hear anything, i've got the volume maxed, fuzz maxed and I can hear a barely audible fuzz, but obviously somethings wrong. I've replaced the battery still the same problem. I've tried 2 different amps, 2 different basses one passive one active, still have problems. Could there be any way to fix this or do I just have to get all kinds of angry at the seller?

2. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It can almost certainly be fixed. Which version Tone Bender did you get? Any photos?

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=largetonebenderav3.jpg

I'm gonna snag my sister's camera and take a shot of the inside so you can see the pots. I work at Guitar Center so I asked the guitar tech to take a look at it, he said the pots may have to be replaced.

This pisses me off because service charges alone are 20 bucks, and decent pots may be 10 bucks, ( i dont know prices im pullin em out of my ass) but really I can buy a new one for 250 bucks. I bought this used for 200, and IMO when I bought it I wanted it to work...

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think that's a 90's reissue, that used an opamp rather than transistors and is COMPLETELY different from the new reissues. Unless the thing has spent time under water it doesn't make sense that all three pots would need to be replaced. It's rare that even one pot would be so bad that it wouldn't work at all.

5. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Well like I said, the fuzz seems to sound fine, I can't tell with the tone, but the volume, I've got it maxed but you can BARELY hear anything comin out of the amp. At first I thought the battery was dead so I switched out, still same problem.Again I'll take a pic of the insides. There's some rust around but there's no corrosion

6. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Suppose it could be a pot. Here's a way you can quickly find out. Take a piece of wire or something metal and touch touch it betwen the two tabs on the volume pot that don't have a black wire connected. If that doesn't help do the same with the tone pot. Turn your amp's volume down low before you do this.

7. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I'll give that a shot....no risk of like, frying this thing though, right?

8. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    no, don't worry, touching the wire to the tabs is like bypassing the pot. Bypassing the volume pot will give you maximum volume, hence the turn your amp volume down.

9. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG]

That's the best pic I could get of the pots. It's blurry as all hell because I'm using a twenty dollar camera my sis got from Target. Best I can do =\. Gonna do that wire thingy now...

10. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Okay, after getting some gator clips on that volume pot I got something. The volume came thru MUCH better, however I don't know if this is the pedal but now I've got a lot of white noise, maybe that's a fuzz thing. Cool thig though, apparently its causing a resonation in my room which right now has a VERY loud feedback which sounds a LOT like Lost Keys by Tool. Neato...

LOL it's been doin it for like 5 minutes now and I'm just sitting back going "LOOK! Look at what I have created! Feedback!"

Lol it's slowly building up on my D-string like a sympathetic vibration.

Well since I know now that it's the volume pot, can any pot replace it or do I need to get a certain brand? how will it affect the sound? Should I send it back and get the new one from Musicytoyz?

11. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Pots are pretty much pots, any one of the same value, probably 100K audio taper, will work. It shouldn't change the sound. If it were my choice I'd get a refund on the grounds that it's not working properly and get the new reissue from Musictoyz.