1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colorsound Tonebender vs Iron Ether Oxide

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, May 15, 2011.

1. Looking to buy a new fuzz pedal and I've narrowed it down to these 2. Can either cop a similar fuzz sound to the other? I'll be using it in an instrumental band similar to a Russian Circles style.

2. Anyone?

3. haven't had any experience with the Colorsound, but the Oxide is fantastic and has a permanent spot on my board. very flexible.

4. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't have either but I think most people will tell you iron ether. I plan on getting that eventually.

5. Personally the Tonebender is hands down my favourite fuzz, it's got some serious ball to it. I haven't tried the Oxide but I know it's able to copy the brassmaster/mammoth tones. If you're looking for a more synthy fuzz go with the Oxide but if you want a clean yet gnarly fuzz with some bite to it then get the Tonebender.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    If you are looking for a great version of the Tonebender, the Barber Trifecta delivers two versions of the Tonebender and one great version of the Muff. It's a terrific pedal available at an affordable price. Sonically, very few pedal match it and there is no bass loss.

The Fuzzrocious Grey Stache is also a favorite, particularly in its original version.

7. If you're looking at the Tonebender, try the Colorsound Bass Fuzz (a deeper Jumbo Tonebender) or the [SFX]Micro Fuzz which is about 1/8th the size, takes 9v power adapter and has an LED and sounds *Very* similar but has an extra mid-frequency switch.

Sonically the Bass Fuzz (in comparison to the TB) is deeper and gets synthier at higher gain settings. The Tonebender is a bit more subdued but both do work well on bass, the Bass Fuzz sounding more modern.

Havent tried the Oxide, but i'd imagine that its a pretty great fuzz from what i've heard about it, seems very versatile too.