1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Colorsound Tonebender vs Malekko Assmaster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chanson, Oct 2, 2009.

1. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I've narrowed my search down to these two pedals to get the ultimate fuzz pedal I've been looking for. However, it is unlikely that I will get the change to try either of them out. In order to help me make up my mind, since I will be buying blind, can anyone offer any opinions about which pedal would be best? I play down tuned stuff in the style of the Melvins, Big Business, Sleep, Electric Wizard, etc.

2. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    B:Assmaster is too wicked. Tone Bender will suit your needs better. You can also look at some kind of muff derivative like Supercollider.

3. chanson

Too wicked in what way?

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The B:Assmaster is a way more abrasive fuzz than the Tonebender and doesn't have nearly as much sustain due to the fact that it has a fairly substantially gate on it. It definitely has more low end to it due to its blending capabilities. The best example I can come up with of the Malekko's tone in a song context would be this:

5. chanson

I know that Jared Warren (Melvins, Big Business) uses a B:Assmaster, and I dig his tone.

6. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Listen to original Brassmaster:

For stoner rock I'd pick something with less artifacts and more sustain. BTW, I own B:Assmaster and I'm waiting for another one, so it's not that I don't like it ;)

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Does he?! That is hilarious because said B:Assmaster is my favourite fuzz ever, and I can't stand that dude's tone. The enigma of life strikes again!

I suppose it makes sense though, I like the B:Assmaster to cut through guitars instead of standing alone.

8. chanson

He hasn't always used one, but from what I understand he is using one now.

9. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Jared told me the funniest thing outside of a club in Costa Mesa once. He stopped using for a while because he thought it blew his rig up...he wasn't positive, but he thought it might have been the culprit. Those of us who have or had one know it's possible..the gain on the Silicon is friggin' LETHAL!! :bassist:

10. the tonebender is great on bass, as is the B:assmaster, but they're totally differet. the B:AM is a synthy,mid rangey, clean-blended fuzz, whilst the he TB has less mids and is more of a traditional sound - I really like it for stoner rock and might pick up a Colorsound Bass Fuzz in london today.

so do you want abrasive, in-you-face fuzz heaven that is a pretty unique? then get the B:Am.

11. chanson

I think that might answer my question. I have a Boss OBD-3, but one of the reasons I am looking for a new pedal is that it sounds too fake. Too much synth laser sounding.

12. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    [​IMG]

Have you looked at these (by forum member Sonic VI)? I think he has five available after a current run of twenty five. They are a bit large, but they have a power tap and sound great kind of a muffish/tonebendery combo with a tone knob that feels almost like a clean blend. Also priced VERY WELL @ $150 plus shipping.

I'm not affiliated nor do I make a commission, I just have one and really love it for smooth classic fuzz tones I get from it.

My NPD thread awhile back: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546083&highlight=sonic+champion

His current for sale thread on D*A*M
    http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3875&start=20

13. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX

They aren't that large. It's much smaller than a Colorsound pedal and it's only about an inch longer and half an inch wider (and the same height as) than a Boss pedal.

Anyhoo, FYI the current Colorsound silver Tone Bender is also the same circuit as the Jumbo Tone Bender and B&M. Whichever one you choose, the Jumbo circuit is absolutley killer on bass. Someone once described is as "a Big Muff in 3D". :)

14. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I was looking for Tone Bender myself and finally I ordered Champion Fuzz Unit from SonicVI. I cannot say more about its tone yet, as it should arrive this week. But it's a winner over Colorsound for me as it has smaller box, led and power jack + it's hand made by a really nice guy!

15. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
  16. i went down to Macaris today and had a chane to A/B the silver/grey tonebender, the Colorsound Bass Fuzz and the Colorsound Fuzz 4.

I walked out with the Bass Fuzz, its a bit wider than the thincase silver TB, but imagine it as a Tonebender + coz its got more gain on tap and more attack. The Fuzz4 sounded amazing too, but it is an overdrive to my ears, nothing more, but its meant to be two different 'fuzz' sounds tha you can blend together with and active tone control and a volume control. It had a great midrangey sound, but couldnt get an real distortion.

I think i had the jacks the wrong way round for the Colorsound One Knob Fuzz, (just noticed the Bass Fuzz has the jacks the wrong way round too) - so i cant tell you how that one sounded.

17. You could also check out Bogdan's new pedal. I love mine and the price is great - $120. I don't have the Malekko so I can't do a comparison. I did buy the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz which is another clone of the Brassmaster. IThey are both great, but I like Bogdan's better.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572698&highlight=bogdan

18. S. Katz

S. Katz Guest

Oct 24, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Chanson--

Gotta say it: "Everybody loves Hypnotoad!"

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'll do a comparison when I get a bogdan ;)

20. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I'm glad to see Sonic had the cajones to do a run of the Tonebender clone.

He and I did a LOT of tweaking to the circuit back and forth in a thread over a year ago (maybe two).

i LOVE the sound of a tonebender. What I don't like though is the loss of volume compared to a muff.

So I took a muff circuit - pulled the first pair of clipping diodes and cap, changed the first three silicon transistors to BC184Cs kept the diodes on the second stage of clipping stock (silicon 1n4148 i think) and kept the last transistor stage like a stock muff - 2N5088 and changed the tone LP/HP tone control to one of my own flavor (very low mid loss)

and I got a real banger fuzz. Don't think i'll ever change it again.

But yes - the TB sound very "3D" because with less clipping you get more clean bass "underneath" the fuzz - it sound's like you are running a clean amp and a fuzzed out amp.

You can't really dial the clean bass out though - which is why circuits like the Brassmaster are lauded by many as the ultimate brain destroying fuzz.