ColorTone Vintage Amber Stain Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by memphidelity, Sep 23, 2014.

1. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Hello,

I put a coat of Vintage Amber stain on my jazz bass neck last night. Like most musical things, I asked my wife for a completely blunt answer. She said, "Looks awfully yellow." Well, she's right. Will another coat darken it to the amber color? Did I mix it wrong? I'm going to finish it it Tung oil. That will darken it some. But if another coat is necessary, I obviously need to wait on the finish. Just curious to hear from anyone who has used the product.

Thanks for your time and insight.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The oil finish should darken it some. Another coat will make it darker but also more yellow.

3. potomac

potomac

Dec 18, 2011
    White Plains/NY
    Try Zinsser Shellac amber, 047719007043lg.jpg better mix it with Zinsser Shellac clear Zinsser%20Clear%20Shellac.jpg to get the best matching color.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    I went back and hit it with a much stronger mixture. Tone is perfect. My technique will hopefully improve.

5. shai-ga

shai-ga

Dec 31, 2006
    Here's their "amber" spray, 4-5 coats:
    DSC_2045.JPG

It's yellow..

I'm about to try the Nitro Valley Amber spray..

6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Looks like honey.

7. Danpirvine

Danpirvine

Jul 8, 2015
    SYDNEY
    Hi mate I do realize this is an old post but by the off chance do you remember the steps on how you did this ? How much dye? Did you mix with water ? Other? Did you apply truoil after any tips you got please share

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021