1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colour coated bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonathan w, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Jonathan w

Jonathan w

Jul 29, 2006
    Someone recomended getting DR black beauties so I had a look into them. I really like the idea of having colour coated bass strings but just can't afford DR's. Cna anyone recommend any other more affordable coated bass strings that are still good strings?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC, DR is the only brand that color coats strings.

I like my strings nickel colored.

3. black diamonds

4. Black Knights. Sadowsky makes 'em i think. Who ever makes Swordsteels also makes Black Knights.

some other companies also make gold strings, though, that's usually not a coating...

5. some random guy on a different website swears that polymer enamal paint works and will stay bonded to strings but I haven't tried it

6. Ritter makes the "Black Knights", not Sadowsky. They're basically Ritter's Swordsteel strings with a black coating. There are some other companies that do color coated strings as well, but I don't think they'll be any cheaper. If you're just looking for 'black' strings, then tapewound strings are also black, and that color doesn't wear off. If you go to Carvin's website, you can get some LaBella tapewounds for pretty cheap I think.

7. Dr. Riddim

Dr. Riddim In Memoriam

Mar 2, 2002
    Tampa Bay, FL
    The only downside to the tapewound strings on a fretted bass is you really have to stay on top of how long you keep them on.

I had them on my Hofner and the constant contact between the string and the frets eventually caused the tape to wear through. It's amazing how dead a string can become when all that tape comes loose and just hangs there. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021