1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Colour Laser Printers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what brands are good and any to avoid.

I've seen a couple Samsung printers that look pretty good. Anyone have any experience with those?

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Got a Samsung CLP-315 and for general colour printing its done well so far

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have an older model Sammie B&W Laser. It's good, but the toner is EXPENSIVE. Something to consider when looking at a printer.

My family has always used HP printers, both ink jets and lasers. My dad just picked up a nice HP color unit and we've never had a problem with any of them. In fact, my dad still has his HPLJ4 from 1992. He's rebuilt it twice in seventeen years but it's still running.

4. I only had a brief look at toner carts, and the samsung ones were running in at £30-£40. I thought all toners were around about that figure?

I'm not too worried about the cost, as I'm sure they will last a heck of a lot longer than the carts I use with my epson inkjet at the mo. Not to mention the bonus of sharper prints at a much higher speed!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, if I had the room for a color unit, I'd make the switch too... but while I'm at school, I need something small and cheap.

IIRC, while the toner cartridges are about the same price... the yield is lesser on the Sammies. My ML1740 costs about 1.6x as much to operate as the equivalent HP model, I calculated once... I guess that's where they make up for their low initial price.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I tend to favor HP's. I'm on a mac, if that makes a difference.

7. I don't think it makes too much of a difference with the base system? I'll have a look at some of the HP models, they did tend to be more expensive, probably with good reason.

I'll have to look into the capacity of each toner type, didn't realise there was that much of a difference, cheers tplyons.

What caught my eye with the samsung model I was looking at is it has a scanner and you can network it (both wired and wireless), which I would be useful!

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    As far as toner goes. I've found that a little more money invested in the printer itself (especially with laser printers) the farther the cartridges/toner goes on the back end, thus saving you money in the long run. I've got a b/w white laser printer that I bought 9 years ago. The toner is well over a hundred bucks. As a teacher I frequently run 60-100 page copies on this thing. I only have to replace toner once every year and a half. At the time that it was purchased it was on the higher end price wise. We're making a large purchase (15-20 printers) here in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know what we go with, if it will help.

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I have an HP. Toner is a bit expensive, but it lasts a long time. I get nearly 2000 pages from a set of cartridges (after turning off the built in limiter in the print settings).

10. That'd be good to know Maki (Y)

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy one, but have a bit of money sitting to the side. Still have a few packs of ink carts for my inkjet.