1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

coloursound Bass fuzz/tonebender jawn - rehousable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Can you rehouse the jawn for a Coloursound Tonebender or Bass Fuzz reissue?

I should mention that i dont know what a jawn is, but i figured if i really needed to know what one is i can find out, but at the moment i just need to know if its re-housable.

The thing is this:
    i want a Coloursound tonebender, they have all the mojo for me, but they're big and the Bass Fuzz is wider than the tonebender, they dont have a status LED and they dont take a power adapter. these are big no-no's for me.

i've been tempted by the supercollider, but i've heard they're pretty hard to get hold of these days, and plus, i want something that LOOKS like a tonebender.

in my mind i have something that looks kinda like a tonebender - but about the size of my Green Stache with colorsound-style graphics, and the sound of the Coloursound Bass Fuzz/Tonebender that works well for bass.

so... to anyone with this pedal building/modding experience - can i rehouse the circuit into a smaller box? and have it modded for LED and power input?

Obviously i understand that theres probably not alot of people with experience modding/rehousing actual Tonebenders, as there seems to be alot of clones available.

cheers guys

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So... Google tells me "jawn" is a Philadelphia slang word for "that one thing" or "thingamajig" or "whatchamacallit"... is that your meaning?

3. lol, well ryan @ Fuzzrocious told me to ask if the jawn was rehousable, could well just be philly slang. I guess He probably means the entire circuit (including jacks and stomp switch). The Bass Fuzz is significantly wider than the regular Tonebender, but I didnt want to open it up in the shop to see how big the circuit board is, id assume its wideness id down to a wider board.

The guys at Macari's (who produce the RI Solasound/colorsound stuff) are really helpfull and at the time they said they might be up for modding the BassFuzz for LED, but i thought they'd probably take it as an insult if i asked them to rehouse it too. They also didnt seem too keen on me running it on anything other than batteries :(

4. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Maybe you can simply ask guys from Colorsound if they will make you customized one?

Edit: you were faster ;)

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Jawn is so much easier to type than a whole word...usually. ;)

Interested if anyone has tonebender gutshots to see how rehousable it is!

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    I remember seeing a gut shot and there is a lot of empty real estate in those pedals.

7. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Word there is a lot of empty space, I've thought of rehousing my bass fuzz.

8. well i've emailed Macari's and they havent got back to me yet, I asked about getting a LED, power jack and rehouse. They probably think i just Sh*t all over their fathers' legacy. (their dads started colorsound/solasound)

we'll see what they say.

9. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Can anyone open theirs up and snap/host a gutshot?

10. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Here's a rough shot, I took it cause my bass fuzz came with a broken footswitch, but all is well now.
    IMG_2817.

11. wow, loadsa room :)

I just got an email from Macraris, apparently they're making a limited number of Tonbender Fuzzes with Power sockets and LED's and apparently it has almost exactly the same circuit as the bassfuzz.

I've already asked for my name to go down for one :)

12. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Could probably fit in the EHX XO sized enclosure w/ no 9V. Switching to a DC wall jack is ridiculously easy!

13. sweet, well Marcari's said there would be a 4 week 'lead' time, im not sure waht that is but i asked them to put me on the list. When I get it, i might well get you and shannon to sort me out a re-house if you're upfor it?

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    danelectro makes batteries?

15. lol, yeah they do, i had one once (probably from a dano pedal) - they look cool, i think i kept it :)

16. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    bump

17. Well i email'd macaris and said 'where do you want the deposit for the TB with LED and power jack' - and they never got back to me. so sod them, I'll spend my money elsewhere (got a supercollider on the way any day now)

as far as re-housing goes, dont know. Sorry

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The Tonebenders from Colorsound have a pretty big PCB board, jacks, and switch but they can be rehoused into a smaller enclosure. Shorter, actually.

19. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I want to ressurrect this thread, simply because I want to rehouse my Colorsound Bass Fuzz. Anyone?

20. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I would ask over on the DAM Forum. Dave Main or someone there will have an answer for you.