Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Columbine Threat at School Today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by haujobb, Apr 14, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Just like the title says, some kids from the Indian Reserve wrote a letter saying they're going to shoot up the school tomorrow...

2. well, i certainly hope they don't.

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    They decided not to cancel school, but my mom and girlfriend and bandmates are scared for me. Plus the fact that alot of the Natives from the reserve hate white people and have been aggressive towards white people...

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Go prepared, but I don't think it will happen. The ones with threats beforehand don't seem to happen.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you know about it, shouldn't the police? It should have been reported immediately and the proper steps taken even if they were joking.

The school district I work for those kids would be arrested for writing something like that and school probably would be cancelled for the day.

6. I've been a police officer for the past 10 years in my town and I give you this advice when dealing with that type of situation.
    Take the threats seriously and use good judgement, not paranoia, to deal with it.
    And yes there are enhanced penalties in most states for this type of crime. Given the events of years past, and the lives lost, this should not be taken lightly.

My prayers go out to you.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe this is reactionary, but it's high school, why take the chance? I say, stay home.

Of course, you'll never solve all of your problems from avoiding things, and it's not like it couldn't happen any other day, but like I said, why take the chance?

8. stay home. this is different from running away from a different type of problem...it's running away from a possible gun. besides, i'm sure your folks would let you, so if nothing happens, you get the day off anyway.

9. If it were a bomb threat, the school would be quickly evacuated... but a shooting threat and nobody reacts? It's probably completely bogus as most threats are, but at the very least I'd think the police should be involved.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Spend the day with friends, far away from the school. They may or may not do it tomorrow, but that's nothing to say they wouldn't the next day. I wouldn't say they're going to shoot y'all up in two days after everyone's breathed a collective sigh of relief, but spend some time with your friends. Take times like this to really appreciate the people you love.

11. I'm not sure going to school tomorrow is any more risky than going any other day, but if you feel uncomfortable about going, then by all means, stay home. At my high school, there were a lot of these types of threats, and I never took a single one seriously, but I also have no idea what I learned on the days of these threats. Follow your gut - if you have a bad feeling about this one, don't go.

12. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I personally thinks it's a cry for attention, as most Native related actions in this area seem to be. But I'm not going because there will be no one at school anyways and it gives me a chance to sleep in for the big gig tomorrow night. As far as spending time with friends, I'm going on a road trip with my band, my girlfriend and some friends to play a gig at a semi large bar, so I think I'm set from that angle.

Not going to school just makes my day alot easier, I have ALOT of driving to do tomorrow and this makes it alot easier...

13. So, what happened?

14. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Nothing at all, I don't even think anybody went to school anyways. Turns out that for some reason every other school in the area decided it wasn't worth the potential risk and closed down, but my school - the only school under any real threat - decided to stay open :eyebrow:

15. this happend at my school. a girl i know threatend to do it. she wasnt serious. she was a top bird, just slightly nuts and weird. but she got in truble by cops and expelled. you should get the day off... or go to skool with an AK for protection :D and a bullet proof vest....

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's the same mode of thinking that made my high school only get the kids 50 feet away from the building when there was a bomb threat a few years ago.

Glad nothing happened though. We don't need anymore school violence.

17. Yeah, it seems like there are a number of schools that just don't handle this well. We used to have to walk across the street to the elementary school when there was a bomb threat; if someone wanted to do any damage, they could have planted the bomb there. Apparently that thought didn't occur to the folks in charge....

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Because everyone knows that 50 feet is the magic distance that renders bombs harmless to bystanders..

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That reminds me of this psycho guy from back in the early 1900's..I think that was the time period. He was working at a school and for months he'd been rigging explosives in the school all over...basement, attic everywhere...hundreds of pounds. He had it all rigged up. Then on a given day he murdered his wife, wired his horses feet together so that they couldn't get out of their stalls and then fire-bombed his own house and barn. Simultaneously the school blew up, full of kids and teachers. He loaded his wagon or car or whatever with explosives and then completely covered that with all kinds of heavy metal like plowheads and stuff and the drove to the school. After plenty of people had arrived to help he then called the mayor over to his car and blew up the vehicle and sending shrapnel into all of the rescue workers and bystanders killing and wounding even more. It was a grizzly act and they also found tons of explosives in the school that didn't go off because the detonator was damaged by the initial explosions... anyway..someone here that lives in the area where this happened is probably familiar with this school. Terrible, terrible act and it was all over something like a few pennies that he'd been overtaxed or something like that. Of course it goes much deeper than that with his mental health and whatnot but that was his stated reason apparently.

brad cook

20. :eek:
    Man...that's twisted. What a psycho.

PS - Did you mean to quote my post, Brad?