Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Columbus GC score!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 5, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Took quite a while to haggle, but I picked up this QSC PLX-3402 for $499. They had some nice stuff in the store, but nothing that screamed great deal until I beat them up on this. It doesn't sound much different than my RMX1850HD, but the weight savings are NICE! Am I right by thinking this was a steal?

It's also nice to know I have enough power to practically weld with, if I would happen to need it :D

[​IMG]

2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    DId you trade something?

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nope, $499 plus tax out the door on my cc. It was originally tagged 699, which I haggled to $599. On removing it from the rack, I noticed the top right rack ear was broken off around the hole, and let him know that wasn't really a huge deal on a used piece of gear, but to me it was going to be a deal breaker. Other than that, this is a nice clean piece in great shape. He went and got the manager who asked what I'd feel comfortable paying, to which my reply was $499. We rang it up, and grinning the whole way home I went :)

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Congratulations. I guess Memphis is just doomed to be cursed with a terrible Guitar Center. They have a Sterling on clearance and my friend was interested. He noticed the side of the fretboard was chipped quite a bit in some places, and the pickguard was terribly scratched. It was marked down to $745. It was bear bones options: black on black with maple board. My friend asked them if they'd go down just a little more because of the obvious damage as a new item, but according to the clerk, that was the lowest they would go. Apparently that was the dealer cost. And when asked if the case was included, they wouldn't include one. Now this is the same place where I picked up a used Black Onyx Sterling out the door for $545. I think the clerk was just playing selective since my friend was not a common customer there.

Also the selection at my local Guitar Center is terrible.

~Patrick

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    patrick, $745 for a sterling is a pretty good price shop worn or not. Add the fact it was still technically NEW and carried all of MM's warranty? Heck, he should have bought it.

Now, $545 out the door for ANY sterling, much less a LE model is an insanely good deal!!!!!!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going down for grand theft, amp. Lowest price I've found for these is $819 at Northern Sound and Light.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    True, but with some of the deals Guitar Center gives away, you have to admit they like could of gone down a little more. Especially since the bass has been there for over a year.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That price new?????? I should mention, this one is used.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I scored a deal at that very same Guitar Center last year, walked in to get a cable and did a quick walk through the bass area, and there was an SWR Baby Blue II combo, used, with a $499 tag on it, excellent condition. Checked it out, offered them $400 plus tax, and took it home. Schweet deal.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Boy, that sam ash down the road is a waste of space aint it? They DID have the BA 2 bridge I needed though, which was the purpose of the whole trip.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That is about as low as those go. Thats just about cost but I cant say for sure since each color combo is different.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    When did you pick that up, Tim? I was in Columbus on Wednesday for a seminar, and I cruised through both Sam Ash (which I agree is a waste of real estate, but I have seen some good deals in their pro audio section) and Guitar Center. I did not see the Navigator there at that point in time. I picked up another Gramma (my third) and a 4-space Road Ready rack for my Eden VT-300A.

Music-Go-Round (on Bethel Rd) is also worth hitting, when you are in Columbus. I bought a good condition used CA9 there for under $500.

Great score on the Navigator, BTW! It's an excellent preamp, and I used mine with a PLX 3002 for years. Great sounding rig!

Take care, Tom.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Tom...Tim has had the Navigator pre for quite a while. He picked up the QSC Poweramp at GC yesterday.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That price new. Check it out.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Duh!

Thanks for pointing that out.

16. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I go to both GC and Scam Cash in Columbus every couple of months. The people there are completely uninformed about the stuff they sell. I went in a while back looking for a Q-Tron- which of course they didn't have- I asked the dude behind the counter if they had any other envelope filters, to which he replied, "envelope filters? I think you mean 'envelope' " or something. He had no frickin' clue what I was talking about! Maybe a small thing, but I've dealt with many others, mainly at Sam Ash. I'd kill for a job at a music store, and they've got these "geniuses" selling gear they don't know one thing about. It's a real shame.

On second thougth, I think I'll go to GC tomorrow and see what I can get my hands on. I'm a glutton for punishment.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The folks at the String Shoppe on High Street (near OSU campus) and Music-Go-Round are generally more well informed, though it depends on who you get to talk to. If you need any fretwork or repairs done, or you just need to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about, stop by and see Phil (Uncletoad) at the Fifth Avenue Fretshop in Grandview.

Tom.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    GC tries to hire people with as much knowlege as possible, but if people without the knowlege dont apply, then they cant hire them. They do however need people who can at least do the bare minimum and work a register with decent people skills.

19. I'm not sure about that Music-Go-Round (little experience there) but I have to agree with the String Shoppe and 5th Ave. Fret Shop. Phil explained the electronics of my bass to me in about 3 minutes. :)

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Shawn at Music-Go-Round (on Bethel Rd.) is a bass player and quite helpful.