Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Columbus OH Airport Sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 19, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, not entirely, but they have a new policy of not allowing basses and guitars on board their airplanes as carry-on baggage. For years I have carried on my bass in a gig bag and put it in an overhead bin. Today, the people at the Delta counter refused to let me or our guitarist carry it on. They wouldn't even let me gate check it. They made me check it as luggage.

However, to their credit, there were a couple ladies at the counter who did give me a large cardboard box with airbags inside it and even packed it for me, so I didn't feel all that horrible about checking it. They didn't have to do that, but they did. I thought that was honorable of them to do so. And the lady at the counter did tell me that they would insure my bass up to $2500. That was fine for me because my bass only costs $1050 new, and it wasn't irreplaceable. But you guys with really expensive basses may want to consider getting flight cases if you fly a lot. Me, I've got a cheapo Steinberger copy that will be the only bass I fly with from now on because this is happening too much at too many airports and airlines these days.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya..but there is a REALLY cute hispanic chick that works at the Southwest gate. YUMMY!

3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I had the same issue with delta in Austin TX. I even got to the point of having the regional manager for delta talk to me via phone about their new policy. I didn't have any problems carrying my bass on from Lansing to Austin, but for some reason Austin was a pita. The lady at the counter even commented on how many musicians she had made angry that day. I will never fly delta again.

Northwest has never given me a problem and they have even gone so far as telling me I could board early when they noticed my bass. Screw delta.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Northwest and Southwest are by far the easiest airlines to deal with. US Airways isn't bad, but America West and Delta just plain blow.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think we need a sticky of all the unfriendly airports to guitarists and bassists wanting to travel with a gig bag in the carry-on. I think it would be a good warning list.

6. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm not sure this has anything to do with the airport itself though, sounds more like an airline issue. Although both tend to have severe cases of cranial rectumitis at times.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, the lady at the counter said it was the airport itself, not Delta. Besides, I flew up on Delta from Orlando and had no problem at all.