Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combat sports vs Bassplaying

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've been wondering about this for some time, does anyone here combine combat sports and bassplaying? By combat sports I mean boxing, kickbox, thai box, karate, kung-fu etc.
    I really admire the guys who practice these sports, and sometimes I consider picking it up myself, but I am very scared to damage my hands. Maybe this will not occur now, but in 20, 30 years, and my dad has problems with his joints, so I might have the genes for it..

Any fighters here? Any thoughts?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I believe John Turner who used to do martial arts, but gave it up for fear of injuring his hands.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like Shaolin Kung-Fu a lot, and I like some aspects of the training, but for example hitting a brick wall with your bare fists can't be healthy. I also heard about doing push-ups on you knuckles, hitting the floor to warm up..all pretty extreme in my opinion, even with gloves I think it's still bad for your hands..

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I did Muay Thai and Wing Tsun for 3 years in college.

Honestly, I don't think it did anything worse to my hands than my 9+ hours a day on a computer keyboard.

Whatch where you go. If it's a school that advertises the brick hitting, etc as the skills they teach, they may NOT be the best.

Look for a "soft style": Akido, Hapkido, Judo, Wing Tsun, Tai Chi, etc. These will give the health benefits, but without the crazy "punch stuff that's hard". Most them teach it more for self-defense, and less for tournament stuff, so you'll (unless you're thinking about entering the octagon) probably get more out of it.

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I did Isshin Ryu for about 10 years up until a few years ago. I actually left it for music. Still one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make.

6. Traditional Japanese style ****o-Ryu Kai is a defensive style, not an attacking style. I think in the 5 or so years i took it i hit something ONCE... that was cuz i missed (i actually hit the dude) when we were sparring!! you see points were scored by getting close not actually inflicting damage..

EDIT: I can't believe the editor corrected the spelling above!! it's spelled S-h-i-t-o .... pronounced SheeTOE; emphasis on the toe...

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm into victorian era dueling.

brad cook

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    These days I do full-contact youth ministry... It's not a good weekend trip if I can walk at the end of it. :D

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Didn't someone post a thread about the best bass for bashing someone in the head? I would imagine that would require some mystical fighting skills of the celestial East. Oh, I use High Karate aftershave.

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I used to do medieval style combat in the SCA and similar organizations. I ended up quitting because I couldn't afford doing that and playing bass. We see which won out.

I also got tired of all the old windbags there and all the ****ing cliques and holier than thou bull**** that went on.

some people take "false" "imaginary" "game related" power way to seriously.

I could go on about this for a while...but I'll save it.

I still try to go out when I can, but sometimes it just isn't worth the trouble.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can you throw blue fireballs?

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    TheQintar is a martial arts beast! dunno what happened to him though. I'd like to do Muay Thai.

13. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I just read some old posts from The Qintar...

His medusa gaze was the bestest!!!

14. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    No but i hear the spinning piledriver is do-able....

15. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    10 years Kenpo Karate, 6 years Aikido.....my hands are fine....

(in fact Aikido has some fantastic hand/arm stretching exercises which I still use before a big gig.)

16. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I learned the rudiments of Kung Fu, Karate, and Tai Kwon Do when I was a wee one. I'd be interested in learning Aikido or Judo, Jiujitsu, and Muay Thai...

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen to that! Thing I'm most likely to hurt myself doing is driving my El Camino. :)

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm a hobbyist boxer, I haven't hurt my hands but I'm careful. I wrap my hands and wear good gloves while I train. I don't spar any longer, but I shadow box and work out of the heavy bag in my home.

I've tried a few different traditional martial arts styles, but IMO they require a lot of time. I prefer Boxing for it's fitness and self defense benefits, it just works best for me. YMMV.

If my daughters want to try a martial art in the future, I'd like to try Judo or Jiu-Jitsu. I'd like to learn more about submission holds, throws, etc.

- Art

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Without reading the thread at all, I can say the combat sports guys will demolish the bass players.