Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combined cabinet power handling.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jnprather, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Hi guys, i've searched around here and really can't find an answer for this very simple question.

You have 2 8-ohm cabs (4x10), rated by the manufacturer as 700 Watts RMS each at 8 ohms. Now, you run them together in bridged mono mode at 4 ohms. Is your power handling now exactly/theoretically 1400 watts RMS?

Simple question and i'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but the only reason I ask is, from what i've seen, a given manufacturer's 4x10 cabinet is always rated higher than half of their equivalent 8x10 cabinet, so i'm curious. For instance, my SWR Goliath IIIs (4x10) are rated 700, while their Megoliath (8x10) cabinet is only rated 1200 watts. Ampeg 4x10s are rated 1000 watts each while their 8x10 is rated 1600 watts. Any thoughts?

John

2. Yep.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Yes, you would have a 1400 watt power handling capability. It is different from the Megoliath because they most likely have slightly different speakers in there. Also, the Megoliath has part of the back chopped off, reducing the volume of the upper cab. Also, look at the SPL and frequency response for the Megoliath and Goliath III. The Goliath is 5 dB louder. I think they use different speakers.

www.swrsound.com

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Just remember that numbers are a good starting point, but real world situations are far from "lab spec data"!