Combining Acme cabs with other cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 15, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone tried using Acme cabs with other makers cabs?
    Which ones? How did it work out?

The reson for asking is Im really interested in buying an Acme 410 but want to be able to ad other cabs if it doesn´t get loud enough.
    My band is not the loudest. We play pop/rock/alt country.
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    For an outdoor gig without PA support I combined my two Acme B2's driven by Mackie M1400 (425W each, 93dB@1W1m) with a Warwick ProFet IV driving a Warwick 1x15" cab (250W-ish, 101dB@1W1m). The Warwick rig was soooo much quieter than the allegedly really quiet Acmes, but I EQ'd it to add a little extra low-mids which proved useful.

If you use a nice powerful amp (like about 1500W RMS) the B4 will get really rather loud, enough to compete with a heavy-handed drummer. You might like to consider of pair of B2's if you can afford the extra cost - much more portable, you can take just one cab for practices or small gigs, and stacking them vertically projects the sound well with incredible focus (and has a very small on-stage footprint) as well as getting the high and mid drivers up nearer ear level.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I used to stack my 4 ohm B2 vertically on top of a homebuilt EV TL606 cabinet loaded with an EVM 15B (8 ohms).

I played in a way too loud classic/alternative rock band...way too loud.

At the time I was playing a 4 string P Bass into Pearce BC-1 preamp/QSC PLX2402 power amp (limiter on, filter set at 50 Hz). The channel feeding the Acme was cranked, the channel feeding the EV was less than half.

The Acme's woofers were nearly banging on the grille (it sounded awful) I could actually hear it well because I was using ear plugs.

The EV was really carrying the sound...the lows and the volume. After that, I stopped using the Acme and brought along a Goliath II and the 15.

A B4 would probably do better...
  4. My B4 is very loud...just make sure you use a big enough amp to drive it! (at least 700Watts)...
  5. I've been extremely happy with my Low B-4. It replaces my previous set-up of 2x10's and an 18. I can actually get louder with the B-4 as it doesn't do the "18" Fart Dance" at high volumes. I have the 4 ohm version and I'm powering it with a Peavey DPC1400X. I play in a band with a moderately loud drummer and I've never had a problem being heard (or felt!). I frequently play gigs with no PA support and fill rooms with bass from that one little 78lb box. I often have to EQ the bass down because it's too loud!
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, i doubt you'd need any other cab than the Acme 4x10. its PLENTY loud. literally "shake the foundations like Samson" loud. for the music you're doing, a single 4x10 or pair of 2x10's is plenty.

like gee, i too used the Peavey 1400x with my 4 ohm 4x10, and it sounded farkin' amazing. i'm moving onto a 1600 watt QSC, so i'm sure it'd do just as well.

unlike gee, tho, i play in a trip/hop band, and every now and then, we do a dub or reggae song, where that low end is just beeyootifoo! fat, yet punchie and very fast feeling under the fingertips, just the way i like my tone.

btw, speaking of EQ, there's LOTS of low end on tap, so i wouldnt worry about adding more in. rather, to cut thru, i just play with the upper mids, which the tweeter and midrange driver aptly handle.

and if you're doing rockabilly and are gonna break out the upright, the Acme does an exceptionally great job of presenting it faithfully due to its more natural, unhyped sound. doesnt squash the upright's tone into something too "electric bass" like.
  7. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I agree that four Acme 10's are plenty loud enough for most situations. I've used a pair of B2s on many occasions.

Once I added an EA VL210 to the pair of Acmes. These two brands sound good together. It was more volume than I needed, and more weight than I wanted to haul, but the EA added just a bit more highs, and the balance was very good. Based on that experiment I'm guessing that a B4 can also be paired with other makers' 210s.

A single B2 was no match for my VL210, so I suspect most other 210s will also drown a B2. FWIW, a B2 and an EA VL208 sound great together.
  8. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Chucko58 mentioned in the XST/Acme/Tri112 thread that the Accugroove 112 and the Acme B2 were a good combination. That's one I wouldn't have thought of; at first glance it seems like an unlikely pairing. But, Chucko's always finding ways to make good gear sound even better.

Chucko, if you're reading this, how did you power the two? Was the AG louder than the Acme?