Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combining Bag End and Aguilar good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Jun 8, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Myself I've got a Bag End Q10B-X, it's a fantastic cab. It's the shallow 4.10" version.

Sometimes I'd wish for a little bit of more 'embedding' of the low region. I play a fivestring jazz custom bass with a low-B. I'm playing with the idea of adding a GS112 or similar cab to it. the GS112 is just a bit smaller then the Q10, so it fits perfectly on top of it.

What would you guys think of it?

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've been running a D10X (shallow 2x10 w/coax) on top of various other cabs for the past month. Some large, some not so. I've run the setup bi-amped, crossing over in the 125 to 250 range and also full range. I'm not entirey sure which setup will make the cut. So far I'm leaning towards a 1x15 on the bottom, tweeter off and running full range. I need to spend more time on the crossover point though.

The BE cab on it's own is simply amazing for it's size. It really doesn't need much help but the 15 does handle the very low end more smoothly.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks for the input.

How nice the principal of a cross-over seems, perhaps it is indeed better taking the fullrange option. The BE is indeed a great cab, but perhaps it could be enhanced by a small cab underneath... or above. ;)

A 15" BE would be the bomb I've heard, but with the BE itself you run the risk of being too loud in a band... yes, it's possible... my bandmembers begin complaining when my amp's mastervolume is 2 on a scale of 10. Some nice vintage vibe underneath would be great nevertheless.. perhaps one of you could recommend the GS112 for example.

More to come ? Please share!

4. I would suggest a Bag End S15B-D ('B' is for "Lower Bass," BTW) to put underneath your 4x10.

Sean

Edit: After checking the specs, I see that if you placed the 4x10 on it's side, they would stack almost perfectly. A nice bonus.

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Okay, thanks for the input Sean.

When it comes to portability, two GS112" would be ideal. I've heard lots of positive things about it. My band isn't that loud, so in fact needing a whole large stack is a bit overdone perhaps.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I run the big Q10-BXd alone, it has HUGE SACK!! I haven't heard their other 4x10 cab, but I recently got their single 15 and it rocks, especially for it's size. I got it to pair-up with a smaller cab. That being said I don't know if the S15d will give you a huge amount of that REALLY DEEP bass, even though it is amazing for it's size and price. The surprising effect the S15d had on my situation was it's natural ability to cover the entire mid range so well. I feel like it has free'd up my other cab to extend-out a bit more.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Hmm... that makes it interesting, kind of enhancing the one by the other, thanks!