Combining Cabs........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Thinking about running a 2x10 on top of a 1x15. Who runs this type of set up and what do you think about it? Fairly good balance? Would it be better to go with a 4x10 on top? Any advince and experience welcome. Thanks.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thats a fairly simple yet effective rig.

I'm thinking about adding a 210 to my tnt 115 combo to get some more speaker area and the extra volume.

You can take which ever cab you prefer to the smaller medium sized gigs and take the 2 to your bigger shows.

The 10's will help ya cut through alot, while the 15'' will help retain the bottom end thump.

Overall a good combination, but I do know some people like a 2x12+2x10, or 1x12+2x10.

Go and try everything around you out at your music stores, thats the best way to find "your" sound.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it all depends upon the cabinets. You'll really have to bring your rig down to the store and try it out with as many other cabinets as you can.

FWIW, the 2x10/1x15 rig is extremly common. Probably more so than the 4x10/1x15 setup.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even better is a 1x15 and a pair or two of eights, with a high-pass filter on the eights so that they don't waste their time trying to handle lows. You'd probably have to DIY to get such an animal.
  5. Low down sound will build you a cab like that. Dont know about the high pass filter though.
  6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You'd want to be sure the eights being used are midrangers and not full rangers too. There are some eights that will go down to 60 Hz or so but the trade off in doing so is less HF extension, and with a 15 to handle the low stuff there's no point in duplicating the effort.
  7. I was saying I dont know if Low Down Sound will do the high pass filter. I agree this would be a good idea.
  8. The Pro Sound guys point out the dangers of mixing different subwoofers. They have a tendency to strangle the bass by canceling each other out.

IMO, if you are going to run a 15" along with your other rig, use a crossover. Let the 15 do what it does best, and keep the ranges separate.
  9. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use 2/1x15 for some venues and 1x15/2x10 for others, depending on the size/shape of the room and frequencies that I'd have to push. The 1x15/2x10 is a cool setup and pretty versatile and reasonably transportable. I wouldn't recommend it for ultra loud bands.

In the long run I think a 4x10 would have been a pretty good choice too, with the potential to combine into 2/4x10 (for the day when Ill need to push crazy low mids).

You arent talking about physically constructing such a cab are you?